Hire the best Tiler

material for screed

Novice

Default material for screed

Hi all,

I am planning to screed my shower that I am renovating
    what material do you use? any premixed products that are easy to apply rather than the cement+sand mix that I have read in various pages on the net?

also my floor is timber and I would like to know what method you would recommend for the screed:
    - waterproofing the timber floor then screeding on top
    or
    - screed on top of the timber floor then waterproofing the screed and around
    or
    - laying cement sheet on the timber floor, then screed on cement sheet and waterproofing the screed and around

The floor will be adjacent to an walk in robe with floating timber floor no higher than 2cm (19mm board) so the floor, once tiled in the bathroom, should be leveled with the walk in robe.
    I have calculated that with a height of 2cm and a shower of 90cmx70cm, I could have screed and have a fall of 3-4 degrees which is greater than the 1:60 or 1:80 recommended by the australian standard (my understanding is the slope is defined by 1cm height for 60cm long, giving an angle of close to 1 degrees if I did not misinterpret the standard)
    I have looked at some preformed shower trays and some have a fall of 2-3 degrees

alternatively is it possible to just lay the cement sheet, tile and creating a fall by using different thickness of glue (more on the sides and less towards the waste)?
    Given the low angle it should be possible to do so.
    thanks

Hi Emistral
    Sand & cement is the easiest stuff to work with and the cheapest, however can be a bit difficult to mix if ur not sure how to do it propoerly.
    There is another option called Ulstrascreed by bostick which is easy to mix, but a bit expensive for 2 bags which u will need and harder to work with.

U need to put down cement sheet, then screed, then silicon, then waterproof.

In regrds to the fall of the shower base, just make sure have enough to carry water in he right direction, 1 - 2cm fall for a 90 x 90 shower is fine (2cm will be quite noticable fall when you stand on it)

Cheers

3K Club Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by EMistral View Post
    Hi all,

Also my floor is timber and I would like to know what method you would recommend for the screed:
    - waterproofing the timber floor then screeding on top
    or
    - screed on top of the timber floor then waterproofing the screed and around
    or
    - laying cement sheet on the timber floor, then screed on cement sheet and waterproofing the screed and around

You need to cover the existing timber floor with tile underlay sheet then fit a puddle flange and waterproof the base and up the walls to a point 80 mm above the hob/frame.

The floor will be adjacent to an walk in robe with floating timber floor no higher than 2cm (19mm board) so the floor, once tiled in the bathroom, should be leveled with the walk in robe.

This area also needs to be sheeted and waterproored.

I have calculated that with a height of 2cm and a shower of 90cmx70cm, I could have screed and have a fall of 3-4 degrees which is greater than the 1:60 or 1:80 recommended by the australian standard (my understanding is the slope is defined by 1cm height for 60cm long, giving an angle of close to 1 degrees if I did not misinterpret the standard)

1 in 60 is one mm fall over a 60 mm distance.

I have looked at some preformed shower trays and some have a fall of 2-3 degrees

If you opt for a preformed shower base, take great care connecting it to the waste, this is a common leak point, everthing Must be Clean.

alternatively is it possible to just lay the cement sheet, tile and creating a fall by using different thickness of glue (more on the sides and less towards the waste)?
    Given the low angle it should be possible to do so.
    thanks
    Using a mixture will be stronger a whole lot cheaper.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html