Hire the best Tiler

which order?

Novice

Default which order?

Hi all,

I'm building a new ensuite and am ready to plaster the walls and screed/tile. I've talked to a few tilers & have (strangely enough) received a few different ideas on how I should preceed.

The current situation: concrete slab with (new) stud wall on one side, old brick/lime render walls on others. A screed will be needed to bring the level up over the drains - maybe 8cms. Waterproofing will be needed...

The options:

Plan A:
    1. plaster walls
    2. waterproof
    3. screed (up against the plasterboard?)
    4. tile

Plan B:
    1. Screed
    2. Plaster walls
    3. waterproof
    4. tile

Thanks for your advice.

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

I'd go with plan A

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by stevoh741 View Post
    I'd go with plan A
    thanks, thats what makes sense to me but then my concern is the plasterboard not being raised above the floor - which is how I've always used board, when fixing it in position, I've always put some scrap board underneath to keep the bottom 9-10mm off the floor to keep it away from liquid etc. is this not a concern with wet area board?

cheers.

If waterproofed properly, no liquid should ever get to the villaboard. I'm a carpenter not a plasterer or tiler however have worked in a lot of highrise constructions and your plan A is the way that I have seen it done and done it myself never with any problems. The gap at tho bottom is for expansion not for avoiding liquid. Also in the wet area only use wet area plasterboard or villaboard or similar. In my opinion villaboard better cause if somehow water does make its way past the paper to the plaster then the tiles will come down quicker than a hookers panties at an NRL premiership party.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by stevoh741 View Post
    If waterproofed properly, no liquid should ever get to the villaboard. I'm a carpenter not a plasterer or tiler however have worked in a lot of highrise constructions and your plan A is the way that I have seen it done and done it myself never with any problems. The gap at tho bottom is for expansion not for avoiding liquid. Also in the wet area only use wet area plasterboard or villaboard or similar. In my opinion villaboard better cause if somehow water does make its way past the paper to the plaster then the tiles will come down quicker than a hookers panties at an NRL premiership party.

thanks.
    I've had (many) issues in the past - not through my own doing - that has convinced me to make sure it's 'proofed well. My plan was to use wet area plasterboard as I've no experience with villaboard but have plastered before.
    cheers.

Go with Villaboard it is a better product as mentioned. There is not much difference in putting up, just ask some questions if you are not sure.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by barney118 View Post
    Go with Villaboard it is a better product as mentioned. There is not much difference in putting up, just ask some questions if you are not sure.
    ok, sure:
    fixing villaboard - same technique, cornice cement and screw onto joists/studs behind?
    joining - tape and plaster with topcoat?
    suitable for the ceiling? - joist spacing the same as needed for ceiling plasterboard?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdubya View Post
    ok, sure:
    fixing villaboard - same technique, cornice cement and screw onto joists/studs behind?
    suitable for the ceiling? - joist spacing the same as needed for ceiling plasterboard?

thanks
    Thats correct. I still use wet area plasterboard on ceiling because it is cheaper, easier to cut, and isn't holding up tiles. Vilaboard on walls no question.

Small Member

Quote Originally Posted by bdubya View Post
    ok, sure:

thanks
    Check with the manufacturer but I believe if your tiling you don't use stud adhesive, just screws or nails.
    I would just use plasterboard on the ceiling.
    And you can get waterproof plaster for the joining, but get it smooth, its a b!tch to sand

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by andy the pm View Post
    Check with the manufacturer but I believe if your tiling you don't use stud adhesive, just screws or nails.
    yeah, I've read this somewhere.

thanks for the replies guys

Novice

Quick Question regarding fixing Villaboard - The James Hardie guide says to use nails for fixing to timber and only mentions screws for fixing to metal. Is it a problem screwing to timber? Plasterboard screw? This wall will be tiled and no adhesive will be used.

Thanks

Small Member

I'm pretty sure you can use both, download the manual and have a read, I screwed mine to timber studs, mainly because I'm sick of hitting my thumb...don't use a plasterboard screw as they don't countersink that well

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by andy the pm View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can use both, download the manual and have a read, I screwed mine to timber studs, mainly because I'm sick of hitting my thumb...don't use a plasterboard screw as they don't countersink that well
    thanks. shame, I've a ton of plasterboard screws. Which should I buy then?