Hire the best Tiler

Polyurethane Cornice

Novice

Default Polyurethane Cornice

Hi all

I bought some of this stuff, it's really lightweight but looks just the same as normal gyprock cornice, and was wondering the tips on installing.

At this stage I'm thinking it's the same process as gyprock cornice. Is this correct?

Any comments in general on the product? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks
    Cooky

quality + reliability - 3k Club Member

The cons are that they are usually in 1.8m lengths and nee too many joins. I don't know for sure if that is still the case.

If so sell them on ebay and go out and buy the real thing imo.

I have never installed them I doubt that I ever willbut I may be a bit biased.

Also when cutting the mitres what I have seen the cuts are not smooth, Is it paper faced? if so it may not be as bad as I make out. I have seen it paper faced and it was not too bad except the jaggered mitre cuts.

Cheers Rod
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Apprentice (new member)

I am trying to research the same product. I've seen them online at 6' or longer. I want a crown molding for the bathroom that can continue into the shower itself. My tile guys left me a 4" space over my tile for it. I am very nervous about putting a wood molding up there where it could get very wet.

Has anyone out there used it? What has been your experience? How has it stood up?

Cheers,
    Banty

Owner Builder

That's an amazing tiling layout! Are they ceramic tiles or porcelain?

Use a plaster cornice it will stand the moisture in a bath room. If you get one that sits above the tiles you will need to use no more gaps between the tile and the cornice.

Personally I would prefer to see the cornice come down over the tile it is a much neater finish. In this case I would use long screws and screw the cornice in place into the top plate. As the ceiling is painted cornice adhesive will not stick well to either the wall or tiles. Screws are really the best alternative then use no more gaps on both top and bottom members of the cornice.

The mitres are still best finished with cornice adhesive as it is easier to get a clean finish. if you tried to use NMG's in the mitres it will end up in a bit of a mess. I'm sure you could get enough cornice adhesive to do this from your suppliers for free. They always have broken bags about the place.

Don't go with the polyurethane products for the reasons above IMO.

Cheers Rod
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Apprentice (new member)

zacnelson, thank you very much!

I didn't do the tiling. After all the planning, I didn't want to mess it up. I worked out the layout in SketchUp (two examples below) which helped me uncover every place that would be tricky. Then I was able to provide the tile guys with closeup details. They put all 12 of my detail drawings up on the wall and said they really helped.

The tub and shower tile is hand-made ceramic ("variations in color and size to be expected"), the floor is porcelain with marble decos.

rod, thanks very much for the information. Screwing it into the top plate makes me feel more secure anyway. I'll start researching plaster cornices to find one the right size.

I can't overlap the tile because the top row is a cornice itself (which you can see in the second pic). What is "no more gaps"?

Cheers,
    Banty

Ok I see. Looks great.

NMG's is a paintable sealant.

Cheers Rod
    GREAT PLASTERING TIPS AT

Apprentice (new member)

Since NMG isn't available here (or at least I haven't found it, would you say that a paintable silicon sealant would be recommended?

Apprentice (new member)

HI Cooky,can you check the website www.mosdeco.com, you will find a installation of PU cornices.