Hire the best Tiler

Prepping external bare brick wall for tiling

Apprentice (new member)

Lightbulb Prepping external bare brick wall for tiling

Chasing some tiling wisdom, tips and tricks from the tiling community...

I have an external 2x bare brick wall 3m high x 2.1m wide double brick that I need to prepare for tiling 900x450 rectified porcelain tiles. The are blade feature walls at the entry and tiles on all faces x 0.3 sides.

- If brick work is uneven, what is the best easiest and cost effective way to prepare it? Can I fill low stops with adhesive or other recommended fillers?

- Can I put adhesive onto bare brick or should it be sealed/primed first like Bondcrete? My thoughts are it would bond best to bare brick if cleaned thoroughly first.

- As wall is out in the weather, does it need to be thoroughly dried out first after rain or is some minor moisture ok?

- What adhesive do you recommend for exterior use in full weather? Can I use Davco SMP Evo as I've used it before inside and have 20kg bag left over?

- Are 2mm grout gaps acceptable practice?

- What is the going rate per square metre for installing rectified tiles vs normal tile As I know they are more challenging/time consuming? I might have to call in a pro but am confident I can done a good job and save money for friend!

I will mark out tile pattern thoroughly before hand and hi/low spots and take my time. I have use of a power tile cutter and will mitre edges and us levelling system to help reduce and risk of lippage. I have tiled before and turned out great but I know rectified tile will be a challenge. I love a challenge...

Any tips or advise is much appreciated.
    Cheers

If it's face brick I would use a grinder with a cup wheel to grind the entire surface in case the brick has some sort of finish on it that's not compatible with tile glue, then prime it with Davco Ultraprime or Ultrabond and use SMP Evo over that.

SMP Evo can be built up to 19mm thick which should accommodate any uneven spots in the brick work, alternatively but a screed coat on first, let it dry (24 Hours) then tile.

Rectified tiles with a porcelain base are very hard to mitre I would recommend you use a tile trim, maybe brushed Aluminium.

2mm to 3mm joints is standard for rectified tiles.

Also make sure after laying the tiles they are kept cool, no hot afternoon sun beating down on them, cover with a white drop sheet for 24 hours.

Default Prepping external bare brick wall for tiling

it is recommended to render first then tile onto that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse View Post
    it is recommended to render first then tile onto that
    Yes that appears to be the general recommendation, but why? a good quality tile adhesive has far better adhesive qualities than any render I know of.

If you're going to use a small tile, sure you would want a flat surface to tile on, but a 900 x 450 tile should be ok for direct stick.

Default Prepping external bare brick wall for tiling

yeah not sure, just rendered a big bloody wall prior to tiling, dunno why it is s requirement, agree with all your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golden Member

Ok u r getting into dangerous territory. With porcelain that large you will be subject to the same heartache i experienced once.
    At that size, there is a huge distance between the middle of the tile and the outer edge, which means nowhere for moisture from the adheaive to go while curing.
    Dont prime / seal the wall before tiling it with tese tiles. U will trap the moisture of the glue for too long and it will fracture. I 100% garuantee that.
    If u were using something smaller i would agree to use ultraprime, but u want this tile adhesive to cure or else ul be @@@@ing pissed off like i was.
    If u are to use levelling system for these tiles, stay well clear of the cheap one available at bunnings h which puts pressure up on the tile. Use the red ones or something expensive that requires a tool to operate! Please.
    Choose an adhesive that is advertise as fast curing, but still suitable for porcelain. Back butter all tiles with flat side of trowel with the exact same adhesive mix you are applying to the wall. Do not wet it. U want as little moisture as possible. Tap them in with a white rubber mallet and leave them the @@@@ alone.

Golden Member

Also, use nothing other than a 12mm square notch trowel