Hire the best Tiler

Quality Tile Grout for Kitchen Splashback and Tile Sealer

Golden Member

Default Quality Tile Grout for Kitchen Splashback and Tile Sealer

Hi

can anyone recommend a high quality stain resistant grout for a kitchen splashback situation? Grout would be white.

Also should I seal the tiles and grout with a product after they are laid? a seal that wont yellow?

Led

What are the tiles made of? We used Ardex grout at our place, or our tiler did...

3K Club Member

If your main aim to prevent staining, then an epoxy based grout will work as it is also waterproof, however, I would avoid any of the lighter colours as epoxies are effected by UV light and can turn a yellow or even brown in advanced cases.

This is not a problem at all with the darker colours though.

Sealing tiles will not guarantee no staining and it's only some types of ceramic tiles that require sealing at all. look for a super smooth finish and avoid the dull finish tiles and you should little or no problems.

Good luck and fair winds.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsaltoz View Post
    If your main aim to prevent staining, then an epoxy based grout will work as it is also waterproof, however, I would avoid any of the lighter colours as epoxies are effected by UV light and can turn a yellow or even brown in advanced cases.

This is not a problem at all with the darker colours though.

Sealing tiles will not guarantee no staining and it's only some types of ceramic tiles that require sealing at all. look for a super smooth finish and avoid the dull finish tiles and you should little or no problems.

Good luck and fair winds.
    Hi all thanks for the replies

My tiles are both ceramic.

Oldsatoz

see the list of grouts here

Grouts

Here is Ardex Abapoxy
    "Use where strict hygiene standards, high chemical and physical resistance are required"

ARDEX Abapoxy

but I want a white grout unfortunately and note your comment re colour fade, we have 2 windows so some of the grout lines in the kitchen will receive UV light all day. I also notice the data sheet says a higher level of skill is required by the tiler for this product.

Maybe I should defer to this one

ARDEX FG 8
    Talks about consistent colour, mould and water resistant.

ARDEX FG 8

also mentions easier to obtain a flush joint with rectified tiles.

** Edit

Just range Ardex technical helpline.

The friendly guy there added that yes UV will discolour the epoxy a little, also that they can not offer a stark white, what I am after, due to the amber colour in the 2pac mix, its impossible to achieve so they offer a 'off white'. He says against a white tile it will look obviously not white but faded. but the benefit is that it offers high resistance to staining including the ability to rub down the oil and grease off the grout lines without wearing them away.

He said with FG8 it does have superior colour, I would wear out the grout over time requiring raking and re grouting. I could possibly deal with that issue (its our fault for choosing tile over glass splashback) but he also said you wouldn't want the joints to be too small, as those raking tools can only go so narrow. He said FG8 can be improved with their grout booster.

Question: what is the minimum tile grout width to allow future raking out?

Possibly I could use FG8 for the rest of the kitchen splashback tiled area (a 2.6 plus 0.6 plus 0.6m run) and leave the 1.4M wide stove section as epoxy.