Hire the best Tiler

Splashback options, advice needed.

Question Splashback options, advice needed.

Am about to tile splashback but can't decide where to draw the line
    Heights are all over the place. From left to right there is: along side of and underneath 90cm rangehood (2 walls) 75cm, under (100cm wide) window 15cm, wall to the right of window (50cm wide) 160cm, between upper and lower cabinets 51cm (2 walls).
    Kitchen is plain white (cabinets and walls) with white/mottled grey benchtops, light tan floortiles and slightly darker ones for the splashback.
    Option 1.
    Tile all the way around to 51cm (except under the window). Would look funny under the rangehood as it wouldn't go all the way up. Also hard to keep clean!
    Option 2.
    Tile all around to 51cm but use some additional white tiles like a 'border' to fill the space underneath the rangehood.
    Option 3.
    As option 2 but add the white border to the space on the other side of the window as well.

Which option do you prefer or do you have a better idea?
    On my knees!
    (pulling nails and tacks, not praying)

Hi there NOmad.
    Quote Originally Posted by N0mad View Post
    Which option do you prefer or do you have a better idea?
    No offence, but I don't think anyone is going to bother working out what it looks like from your description.

You need to post some photographs, and preferably also (or at least) a sketch with dimensions on it. I'm sure you'll get some suggestions, and much better advice if we can see exactly what it looks like.
    Cheers, John

Short Stack (my son's band)

Good advice

Will post photo ASAP!
    On my knees!

Added photo, (let's see if you can make any sense of it now)!?

Cheers
    On my knees!

Much clearer.
    I just love sheepies!

Apprentice (new member)

um, i cant see a pic

anyhoo, keep the splashback the same colour, always tile right up to your rangehood, go down to 51cm everywhere else if you need to and lower for the window.
    please repost pic so I can have a real go at commenting.

I think he's trying to be funny (unless his attachment failed).
    Sometimes pics don't load if there's something wrong with the host site, but if you press the quote button then you'll see that there's nothing there except his text, and that photo smilie.

BTW. Welcome to the forums perplexed.
    Cheers, John

Second try...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kitchen1.jpg  
    On my knees!

rob

Hi nomad

wrote a reply the other day but for some reason it did not come though .

Iwould use stainless behind the cook top and then tile the rest .
    Maybe you could use a small tile for the bottom run under the window and continue it around and then a white tile above it .or add a second run of small tiles above the white ,them white again

I made my own stainless spash backs up .

I placed a 4mm sheet on villa board behind the rangehood and marked the edges ,i then cut the shape out with a villa board knife and took it to a sheet fabricator to bend the edges around .i then glues the stainless to the villa board and when it dry glues the sheet to the wall behind the cook top .
    looks great and was all of $200 ..
    p.s this might be good to as i do not think you can but the cook top next to the side wall if it is not fire resistant . ?

best of luck

Thanks Jags, that's not a bad idea but I've sort of decided to stick with tiles anyway. The wall to the left will be tiled up to the rangehood as well (for cleaning and fireproofing purposes as you said). Our current thinking is to tile all of it to the height underneath the cabinets to the right with the tan coloured tiles (about 50cm high). Then add a row of white tiles up to the rangehood and like a border along the edge on the wall to the left. Haven't quite made up our minds yet if we want to keep the border going across the narrow bit of wall to the right of the window or not.

Some background: One of the reasons we decided on slightly matte tiles is that the walls are all over the shop, warped, bent, curved and leaning. They are made out of vertical tongue and groove covered with masonite. Kind of makes it hard to go with Stainless or glass as the surface behind needs to be reasonably flat? What I plan to do is cut out the masonite (where the tiles will go) and replace those sections with fibro that I make as close to flat as possible before tiling.

Any thoughts?
    On my knees!

That's better. A picture is worth a thousand words.
    I've got black glass splash backs in my kitchen.

You could think outside the square if you wanted to be funky and pay a bit extra;

It doesn't have to be on an angle of course (The little lady might get a bit seasick whilst she's cooking). You can get wavy glass painted, which may match wavy tiles better if you like that look.
    You could install mirrors in the bottom small mid panes of the windows, or remove the central glazing bar, and put a wider pane of something in, and just have a single band (which would look better IMO). It looks like the bottom glazing bar would line up with the bottom of your overhead cupboard if you put a level border in.
    I'd lift the hood, and line it up with the top glazing bars in the windows whatever I did. It looks a little low (and now it might annoy you every time you look at it ).
    Or I might remove the glazing bars and install full panes for a more clean look.
    Cheers, John

Thanks pawnhead,

Some good ideas in there, though I think the angled tiles would be a bit too funky for such an old house (1920s). The rangehood is already at the maximum distance from the cooktop according to the manual but a few mm shouldn't make much of a difference so I'll look into shifting that. If I stick with the current idea for the tiles I may replace the two centre panes with frosted glass and continue the border on the other side of the window. Probably won't re-arrange the window itself as it appears to be period or at least "Ye Olde", but will definitely line up the tiles with the bars in the window if possible. That's one's a keeper as long as I can make it all line up, considering the window is far from straight and/or square.
    On my knees!