Hire the best Tiler

Stepless shower tiling

Apprentice (new member)

Default Stepless shower tiling

Hi folks

First time renovater here and I am thorougly confused as to what I need to do for my shower base.

The dream is to have a stepless tiled shower floor, with semi-frameless glass. It is in the ensuite on a timber floor, and there used to be a polymarble style base in there before we started reno's.

(I think this has all been asked before, but I am a little confused, so I just wanted to clarify!)

Do I need to cut out the floor boards in the shower recess area and put down a tile tray - something like is listed here - The Universal Shower Base or if I wanted to go really expensive, the Atlantis shower systems?

Or can I put down tile sheet, then get my waterproofer and/or tiler to put some aluminium angle in, waterproof it all and get the angles right so it all drains properly, all on top of the timber floor?

Here are some photos so you know what I am working with.

Not quite before, but close:

After:

Thanks for all suggestions and help in advance

Adam

If you go down the path of the Atlantis system you get a near bullet proof design that is very unlikely to leak. With the Atlantis you actually remove the floor boards beneath the shower base insert and there is a bit of blocking and fiddling. Once the base is in the rest is quite easy and the instructions are good. Having dealt with a leak disaster elsewhere we decided to dig a bit deeper and go for a system that is almost completely contained and opted for Atlantis on our last reno.

3K Club Member

To get the shower tiles at the same level as the floor tiles you will have to create a 50 mm depression at least as large as the base required.

This can be done using a pre cast base but 90% of the work is actually creating the step down, this means cutting floor joists and lowering them then re-securing them 50 mm plus the depth of the new base material below the new floor finish height.

The alternative is to place angles on the tile underlay and live a 30 mm step. Your waterproofer will supply and install the angles.

Regardless of what way you go in the end, it's important that the shower base is fully contained, even the tray system may need angles to prevent water getting outside the screen.

Good lick.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Qual Tiler

easiest would be to sheet the entire floor with FC, waterproof it, put in waterstops to define the shower area and do a 40mm screed for the whole en suite.
    I do heaps like this. works out very cheap if buying a pre-made frameless shower.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by heavytrevy View Post
    easiest would be to sheet the entire floor with FC, waterproof it, put in waterstops to define the shower area and do a 40mm screed for the whole en suite.
    I do heaps like this. works out very cheap if buying a pre-made frameless shower.
    Theo only problem then is the 50 mm step in entry door/s. seems a lot of work but avoids cutting a recess in the floor.

Qual Tiler

Going by the photo posted the plumbing would have to be dropped if cutting a recess in floor.
    Imo it wouldn't be ideal unless using a preformed base, Chance of waterleak would be high not to mention the structural weakening .

I don't follow the need for a 50mm step down. Originally mentioned is the Atlantis base which simply means the removal of floor boards not joists. The whole system is designed with a flange and is meant to be used in conjunction with tile underlay and waterproofed at the join. The fibreglass base properly installed cannot leak around the base.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by heavytrevy View Post
    Going by the photo posted the plumbing would have to be dropped if cutting a recess in floor.
    Imo it wouldn't be ideal unless using a preformed base, Chance of water leak would be high not to mention the structural weakening .
    I have waterproofed many of this type of shower conversion and had not one problem.

Most timber floor dwellings have some access so lowering the drain outlet is not a problem, cutting and bracing the joists is not rocket science, sheeting with 19 mm AC sheet provides a very solid base and walls and has the advantage of being able to vary the size and shape.

Sheets should be located as per good tile practice, so the side walls would start under the floor and finish on top of the base sheet.

Many of the pre cast bases are installed with the top edge parallel to the top of the floor leaving a poor joint, prone to movement.

Good luck.

Apprentice (new member)

There are many ways to skin a cat it seems!