Hire the best Tiler

Tile bed

Default Tile bed

I need to bring the concreted area up to tile level...about 50mm. Is it a mortar bed I put down? Should I put some chicken wire in it? What is the composition of the fill?
    bathroom1-2-.jpg
    There's more about the job here...
    http://www.renovateforum.com/f205/ba...ything-116974/

All advice is greatly appreciated.

I forgot to add...what do I fill the holes with?

Thanks again

2K Club Member

What's the plan with the blue tiles...?
    I'd get them up first then bring the level up with a concrete mix to match the floor..
    Then you can look and screeding, levelling etc.
    I see the pommy reno shows tiling over old tiles and somehow it just strikes me as a dodgy shortcut...the sort of thing you do when you reno most of a whole house in three days...

Is this a place you are flipping?

Not flipping, phild01. The place is old and tired. Unfortunately, no money for the type of reno required...so for now, just a cheap freshen up to try to make the Cheese n Kisses happy. Stripped all the tiles. Levelled up the floor. Tomorrow, going to put leveller on the floor to ensure fall. Day after, hope to start waterproofing. Can anybody recommend a good waterproof. I really want to make sure I do a good job on the waterproofing as the place is so old, I can't afford any leaks.
    David.Elliott, I'm not sure what you mean by 'I see the pommy reno shows tiling over old tiles and somehow it just strikes me as a dodgy shortcut'? Do you mean tiling over the blue floor tiles? What's wrong with that?

Again, be sure all is dry and no moisture gets through that floor, the waterproofing can be compromised otherwise. The Betta product you indicated should be ok, Bunnings also have the Chromellin product. Suggest you read their installation instructions.

We can't see what you are dealing with, it looks like a patchwork floor and that might mean movement. If so, that could give grief later on. Are those two imbedded bricks in the foreground of the untiled area?

Phild01, They are brick pieces cemented in, that remain after demolishing the brick structure that housed the bath. Whoever did the concrete/rendering here did a proper job. So hard to remove. I think it has a distinct Mediterranean feel...hehehe. There is definitely no water getting through from under, and no movement. Whoever built it concentrated more on concreting/rendering structurally than aesthetics...which I'm happy about.

I left the floor dry an extra day before I level it.

Ok, so it's just a choice between the waterproofings...that makes it easy. I'll take your suggestion and do a bit more research on them.

The tiler said get the black waterproofing, but he doesn't know the name...any clues on what it might be?

He might mean bituminous paint

Is bituminous paint ok for waterproofing bathrooms?

2K Club Member

David.Elliott, I'm not sure what you mean by 'I see the pommy reno shows tiling over old tiles and somehow it just strikes me as a dodgy shortcut'?
    Apparently it's OK and there are tile adhesives just for it, but... somehow it just feels dodgy to me...

Is bituminous paint ok for waterproofing bathrooms? Wouldn't think so. You need something tile adhesives stick to, like the Crommelin or Davco products...

Thanks David.Elliott. Crommelin seems to get good mentions.

Quote Originally Posted by noggon View Post
    Is bituminous paint ok for waterproofing bathrooms?
    In the older days, there were some bitumen based versions, but these are now really used in ponds, retaining walls etc,
    There are specialized non bitumen based versions out now for bathrooms all the manufactures make them.

I haven't seen a black membrane used in a bathroom for many years, they are all blue, green, yellow, red, grey, silver etc
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

The walls are a bit uneven in some places (very old building). Should bagged cement based glues be used to plum them up for tiling ie thicker application? I was told if you tile uneven walls with thicker glue the tiles would become drummy.