Hire the best Tiler

Tiles/mortar fallen off last step

Default Tiles/mortar fallen off last step

As the title suggests the tiles have come away from the underlying concrete steps. Re-doing the tiling completely is not an option at the moment. Are there products that I could use to glue(?) or attach the mortar/tile back onto steps until we're ready for a complete renovation? I realise this will only be a temporary fix, in a couple of years we'll re-do the porch. BTW I've tried to add photos but it won't allow me.

Possibly an epoxy glue might get you out of trouble. There are some very good masonary glues but they tend to be quite expensive.

Thanks John, that would be a 2 part glue? Any brand names come to mind and the masonry glues are they readily available?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Thanks John, that would be a 2 part glue? Any brand names come to mind and the masonry glues are they readily available?
    You can get two pack epoxy from boat and wordwork suppliers, the West system is quite good. For glueing stone I use Gold GV5 from CDK Stone in Moorabbin, it can be pushed into cracks with a putty knife or used to glue stone mitres and refit broken pieces. Once mixed you don't have long to get it fixed in place, generally there is no need to clamp.

2K Club Member

probably want to prime the 2 surfaces first wouldnt you with something like bndcrete??

Thanks John and Wozza, given that we're only going with a temporary repair would Bondcrete be sufficient on its own without any glue?

2K Club Member

ive only used it with concrete mix or as a primer for various things. never though of it as a glue as such, always used tile glue after surface is primed with it. no idea.

Without pics, my suggestion would be clear up loose material on step with scrapper/chisel. Carefully clean off any loose material on tiles. Then refix old tiles with an flexible tile adhesive. eg a smaller lot of this. https://www.bunnings.com.au/davco-20...esive_p6656384
    Might add ~5mm to overall height of step, not a big deal.

Even if its just a couple tiles. Spend a few minutes to lower the area a little and it is quite easy to get them level with existing tiles.

tiles-mortar-picture-1a.jpgtiles-mortar-picture-2a.jpg

After a few attempts to resize I'm able to share some pictures. First picture shows how cleanly the tiles have come off, the second picture shows the current state of the tiles. The tiles go on top of the bare step as well as under the step ie in a vertical orientation and they help support the overhang of the tiles on the step.

Id use epoxy too for sure, sika concrete repair kit from bunnings, it is sikadur33, will cost you $60. Do it once, do it properly. That stuff is super handy to glue stuff around the house.

Its not a big area to glue so you need the strongest adhesive or it will happen again

Thanks Pulse and others. Not sure whether it's clear in the second photo but some of the tiles have their corners chipped off. I haven't been able to find a replacement for that particular bullnose profile, as bad as it seems I might have to look at Builder's bog and then perhaps paint the tiles. Are there any good alternatives to Builder's bog for building out the corner of the tile?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Thanks Pulse and others. Not sure whether it's clear in the second photo but some of the tiles have their corners chipped off. I haven't been able to find a replacement for that particular bullnose profile, as bad as it seems I might have to look at Builder's bog and then perhaps paint the tiles. Are there any good alternatives to Builder's bog for building out the corner of the tile?
    Probably just bog it wth grout or a render, this isn't going to be pretty, if using grout I'd add a bit of bondcreate to the mix for adhesion. Really all you will be doing is removing some tile glue, re laying and grouting, don't over complicate a basic repair. Wouldn't be keen to use builders bog but no reason why it will not work although it will probably wear easily is my guess.

The epoxy you can use as bog and shape with a diamond cup grinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk