Hire the best Tiler

Tiling above window frame

Default Tiling above window frame

Hi All,

I have done a quick search on this but could not find anything. What adhesive do people use on the top of a window frame to hold the tiles? I just used the same adhesive as the walls but it did not seem to hold. I then scored the wall a bit more to try and get a good bond but still fell down.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Nathan

Novice

Hi Nathan,
    Please clarify some details. Do you mean adhering tiles to an aluminium or timber window frame or architrave? I wouldn't either of these personally.
    Don't understand why your tile didn't hold, is it over an opening and need to be held in place with a temporary support until adhesive sets?

House Husband - 1K Club Member
    Upper Ferntree Gully, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

I cut a length of wood to fit the head of the window and 2 bits a few mm longer than the sides (minus the thickness of the piece for the top). Glue the tiles in place ( they should hold long enough for the next step) and put the bit of wood under them, then stood the side pieces up A little tap will hold them in place. They don't stand up totally vertically, but just a little off to allow you to jam the top piece in place. Just watch the alignment of the tiles if doing it this way as they may creep in the glue if you don't have spacers in place.

Having three hands does help while doing this.....

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

liquid nails?

Golden Member

Use Selly's roof and gutter silicon. Run a decent bead around near the edge if the tile being back far enough so its not going to squash out into the grout line, and then press into place. It's basically instant grab.

Quote Originally Posted by wbdeejay View Post
    Hi Nathan,
    Please clarify some details. Do you mean adhering tiles to an aluminium or timber window frame or architrave? I wouldn't either of these personally.
    Don't understand why your tile didn't hold, is it over an opening and need to be held in place with a temporary support until adhesive sets?
    Hi wbdeejay,

The tiles held for about 4 weeks before they fell down. It is over the top of an opening that the aluminium frame is set in. Rendered plaster is what i was trying to set it against. I will try the selly's roof & gutter silicon first and see how that goes. Will also make a frame to hold them in place for a day.

Thanks for the help everyone.

G'day,

Was the glue still stuck to the back of the tile? When you say render is it plaster top coat type material? Tile glue or much else really, won't stick without sealing first with an appropriate sealer.

Imo i'd avoid using silicone to stick them up, seal the area first then use a prop across the top of the window to sit the tiles on while the adhesive dries.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by nberry83 View Post
    Hi wbdeejay,

The tiles held for about 4 weeks before they fell down. It is over the top of an opening that the aluminium frame is set in. Rendered plaster is what i was trying to set it against. I will try the selly's roof & gutter silicon first and see how that goes. Will also make a frame to hold them in place for a day.
    So in other words you're sticking the tiles in an overhead/upside down situation. If you use the sellys roof and gutter silicon you won't need to make a frame, just give a good bead of silicon to the tile/s then position, press and hold the tile in place for a few seconds. You will quickly see if the tile is going to fall away to which i'll bet it won't. Aslo the longevity of the tile not falling off sometime in the future is only as good as the substrate you are sticking them too.

I've done about 50 lineal metres of sticking tiles (rips 200 x 50mm) upside down using the silicon. The advice came from Selly's themselves. I was thinking they may have said to use Liquid Nails but they advised that Liquid Nails breaks down after awhile.

Good luck and let us know how you go.