Hire the best Tiler

Tiling on damaged gyprock?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Tiling on damaged gyprock?

G'day, I'm replacing a tiled kitchen splashback. The gyprock got pretty messed up when removing the old tiles. (See photo).
    What are my options here? After removing all remaining adhesive, can I just smooth over with a base coat, then tile?
    (The new tiles will be small ones on a sheet.)

Cheers, Pete
    img_3338.jpg

Can you cut that section of Gyprock out and replace with Villaboard?

1K Club Member

You could just peel off those loose paper edges and prime the tiled area with a primer before applying the adhesive, no need to smooth with base coat. I've done that quite a few times and never had any issues at all. As long as there is some paper on the surface it should be ok and there is no physical damage to the gyprock that happened when removing the tiles. Kitchen splashbacks generally get very light duty use and I think it will be fine to tile over, others may disagree.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Can you cut that section of Gyprock out and replace with Villaboard?
    That was one option that I was considering. My problem with that is that at the right hand end, the last approx 400mm would be unsupported by a stud as the next stud is just behind the cabinets to the right.
    I could just take the villaboard up to the last stud that I have access to and leave the gyprock from that point on (which is in good shape in that area), but then I would have to pack the new board out carefully to line up with the old gyprock.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Looking for ways I could avoid this.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    You could just peel off those loose paper edges and prime the tiled area with a primer before applying the adhesive, no need to smooth with base coat. I've done that quite a few times and never had any issues at all. As long as there is some paper on the surface it should be ok and there is no physical damage to the gyprock that happened when removing the tiles. Kitchen splashbacks generally get very light duty use and I think it will be fine to tile over, others may disagree.
    Thanks Whitey66. When you say a "primer", do you just mean a paint primer or some other sort of stuff?

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by vicpete1 View Post
    Thanks Whitey66. When you say a "primer", do you just mean a paint primer or some other sort of stuff?
    This or similar - https://www.bunnings.com.au/lanko-1l...rimer_p0967333
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Tiling onto gyprock is always dubious, let alone onto gyprock with multiple layers of paint, the worst would be onto gyprock with paint and seriously damaged paper face.

If you want to do it properly, cut that section of gyprock out and as Marc said replace with a piece of VIllaboard.

Depending on the situation, you may be able to leave the gyprock in place and fix a new villaboard or similar product over the top of the gyprock, then have a fresh stable surface to tile onto,

Remember whatever the surface you are tiling onto, is the base for what's holding the tiles / grout in place, if it's damaged / painted gyprock you are starting with an inferior surface.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Your problem cutting the existing gyprock is that you may not have any support for the new piece for the full perimeter so it might be necessary to add additional frame members. I would prefer villaboard too but it will need packing out to the same level as the existing wall, 3mm ply might be suitable.