Hire the best Tiler

Tiling grades

Apprentice (new member)

Default Tiling grades

I have seen some 300 x 600 rectified ceramic wall tile at a salvage yard. It was labelled as general grade and the sales guy said this meant the glazing over the tile was not up to the standard required to be a premium tile, and there would be tiny gaps in the the glaze over the tile. Despite this, he said he had never heard of anyone having trouble with these tiles, and that the gaps in the glazing would be minor. I am wondering if in the long term these tiles are likely to become porous (we would put them in a bathroom) and whether anyone else has used 'general grade' tiles in thier bathroom with any issues. They are plain white rectangular tiles and very cheap but I don't want to buy something we have to rip of the walls later.

Apprentice (new member)

they are more then likely very sizey also (very high degree of difference in size between each tile. ie 1-4mm variance) could also be bowed due to the poor glazing.

The money you save on buying this cheap garbage will be spent on the tiler wasting time packing and fudging about each tile to get a flat finish...and even then, they will complain non stop about the "sizeyness", especially if you expect 1.5/2mm joints.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you get what you pay for. Your obviously looking for a nice clean look by looking to buy 300x600 white glossy tiles...you may not be happy with the final product.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks - I am thinking it is better to be safe than sorry and get the better quality one's.