Hire the best Bricklayer

Is this acceptable Brickwork above a window?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Good night and thank you, please try the Veal.

Owner Builder

Would this be a good solution - if it was a right-angled lintel, to cut a bit off the bricks at the back, and then place the lintel closer to the face of the wall so that the bottom of the holes are hidden?

When I use a flat bar lintel I make sure it is far enough forward that the holes are hidden.

Default AS 3700 and flashings

You decide.
    This is all there is about cavity flashing in the AS 3700 standards.
    Its very ambiguous and leaves it open to interpretation as was said earlier by Autogenous.
    The next page in the standards is all about control joints.

Its not often Im wrong but Im right again.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails standards3.jpg  
    Last edited by Brickie; 21st Jul 2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: wqerdfghv nj,.

Quote Originally Posted by zacnelson View Post
    Would this be a good solution - if it was a right-angled lintel, to cut a bit off the bricks at the back, and then place the lintel closer to the face of the wall so that the bottom of the holes are hidden?

When I use a flat bar lintel I make sure it is far enough forward that the holes are hidden.
    Zac the problem with that solution is that it all takes time, time the builders wont pay for.
    The bricks end up being too narrow and you have to cut two courses to get over the top of the bar and then balance the other courses on top of it all, its all extra time.

Flat bars are next to useless in supporting brickwork unless the opening is say under 600mm wide.

Although, once set, brickwork is self supporting.
    Checkout this pic, it was a job I was called out to to insert a lintel.
    The brickwork had been like it for 5 or more years before anyone realised there was no lintel.
    The opening is about 2.4M
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn1205.jpg  
    Last edited by Brickie; 21st Jul 2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: mnrbwr rbwehr jkfyg sdfuh

ZAC: Would this be a good solution

The solution is that a 105mm lintel should have been provided Zac to cover the holes. Its more than likely the builder who has supplied 75mm angles. You cant shift the angles for because theyre hard up against the back of the brick pretty much. Cutting the brick only weakens the walls.

Im not surprised InterTD cant get decent trades with his attitude.

With modern double brick its impossible to do both wire ties and flashing to the AU standard in the same space with some section details. There is plenty of AU standards that conflict in certain situations.

Brickie, many of the decent brickies I know now work on a good day rate for builders as some jobs are so complex theres days they dont even get tot lay a brick.
    In the past Ive done jobs for builders on day rate so we can set up all the flashings right, stand structural steel etc and do everything properly. We even had surveyors come in put in points and grid lines.

Brickie, I spoke to a brickie not long ago who said he just tells everyone including OHS to get stuffed and they do because they just cant get the bigger teams anymore to do bigger projects let alone get it right.
    https://www.instagram.com/perth_bricklayer_wa

Auto.
    Like your good self Ive done with feeding the troll, so goodnight and thanks for coming.

If standards were to be followed Brickie wed have expansion joints through the tiles on just about every house. That doesn't happen as owners complain so builders dont do it.

If they were serious about getting right wed have some serious CAD Standards for the industry. For some reason housing doesn't have CAD standards legislation unless its government.

You wonder why? Why you can make it up as you go along and the trades are liable. How awesome is that. Imagine Holden having that sort of work arrangement.

Here we have a bodge window detail. The wire ties clash with the through cavity flashing. If the flashing is shifted up we lose what the cavity flashing is supposed to do.
    Capture exterior water ingress; the water makes its way under.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails window-detail.jpg  

The fact is using angle iron for lintels is completely outdated, this is a typical European cavity wall lintel used by the thousand on housing sites every day, built in cavity tray, drip profile, insulated to avoid cold bridging, full brick coverage and internal plaster key etc etc, just set and forget and only a couple of mm thick so they are very easy to lose in the joints.

These guys are only one of many manufacturers who make lintels for any and every solution and would certainly be popular here I think.
    www.scrooz.com.au

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brickie View Post
    You decide.
    This is all there is about cavity flashing in the AS 3700 standards.
    Its very ambiguous and leaves it open to interpretation as was said earlier by Autogenous.
    The next page in the standards is all about control joints.

Its not often Im wrong but Im right again.......
    when you have finished patting yourself on the back, you will note it say moisture not weather, nothing ambiguous about it. So if any external masonry is exposed to moisture because old mrs jones hangs a plant off the wall & hoses it every day & it leaks because of no flashings or weep holes your sunk.

Quote Originally Posted by autogenous View Post

Im not surprised InterTD cant get decent trades with his attitude.
    I'm suprised too, because i don't have any problems after 33 years in the industry, mind you any untried contractors are fully told what is expected of them before they start & what will happen for non performance of their contracts & OH&S obligations.
    regards inter

when you have finished patting yourself on the back, you will note it say moisture not weather, nothing ambiguous about it. So if any external masonry is exposed to moisture because old mrs jones hangs a plant off the wall & hoses it every day & it leaks because of no flashings or weep holes your sunk.

That's good point, your right, and she's going to fill the weepholes with so much water that it back flow into the cavity wetting the internal just from the immense volume of water.
    But at the end of the day we followed the standard, well tried too with wire ties and flashing in the same place and thats all that matters because we covered our @@@@ on a rule.

Thats why I left the industry, Because at times the AU standards clash in situations like this between flashings and wire ties and I could lose my house over something that become so litigious that its not worth the money. I earn more now working in a retail in air condtioned comfort without the chance of losing my house.

Its not much different to Mrs Jones squirting the eaves space with a hanging basket except a cavity flashing isnt required where the eaves meets the window. Enough water and it will do exactly the same no matter how fastidious you are with cavity cleaning.

Scruffydoo, those lintels are absolute rubbish. They are buckled at times and they are 3mm thick so it means you have to lay a bed of cement under perfect to get them smack on and even then they sink.

Scruffydoo, those lintels are absolute rubbish. They are buckled at times and they are 3mm thick so it means you have to lay a bed of cement under perfect to get them smack on and even then they sink.
    I don't even know where to start with that ridiculous comment.
    www.scrooz.com.au

4K Club Member

That's good point, your right, and she's going to fill the weepholes with so much water that it back flow into the cavity wetting the internal just from the immense volume of water.

* If it's flashed properly water can backflow into the cavity all it likes & won't reach the inner leaf unless there is a defect. Hence the reason for spraying the external leaf of external masonry with water to check for these problems or in the case of a veneer taking a walk through the house just after the brickcleaner has done his job, Long before old Mrs jones does it for you the expensive way.

But at the end of the day we followed the standard, well tried too with wire ties and flashing in the same place and thats all that matters because we covered our @@@@ on a rule.

* I have no idea what this is about ties & flashing in the same place ???
    If a situation came up where complying with the standard / good building practice wasn't possible then you would pass it back to the designer / client with a recommendation of what can work. And that would be a variation to the contract

Its not much different to Mrs Jones squirting the eaves space with a hanging basket except a cavity flashing isnt required where the eaves meets the window. Enough water and it will do exactly the same no matter how fastidious you are with cavity cleaning.

* This is not what we are talking about though, but there is a standard for windows & how much water pressure they should be able to resist.

* I think scruffydo is talking about precast concrete lintels with stressed steel strands in them, they have a fired clay shell.
    regards inter

Soldiers Earned Your Right To Free Speech watson's Avatar

Can't bear reading all this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2