Hire the best Bricklayer

Is a brick hearth structural?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Is a brick hearth structural?

I am replacing the subfloor in our bedroom. After removing the original timber, we noticed that the fireplace's brick hearth goes all the way down to the soil below (see image).

We immediately noticed that it has deteriorated to the point where it's falling apart on its own.

My question: is this hearth a structural element of the fireplace (ie: supporting it) or can it be removed and/or replaced?

hearth.jpg

Old Chippy 6K

It might well be supporting the whole chimney structure if it is a brick chimney, but it will need a visual inspection by someone who knows what they are looking at - pics are not going to tell you (but helps if they are correctly oriented . . .)
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.