Hire the best Bricklayer

cement v concrete

Default cement v concrete

I need to mix up some concrete (sand + aggregate) and I have heaps of "brickies grey cement" left over from a bricklaying job can I use it.
    What is the difference between general purpose cement for concrete and brickies cement apart from the lime added.
    Last edited by col5555; 6th Nov 2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: clarification

1K Club Member

When you say brickies cement do you mean a premixed mortar mix? As cement is not sold with that label (Brickies Cement)

The below table gives a brief description of each and a comparison between all three:
    <table style="width: 606px;" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="606"><tbody><tr> <td valign="top" width="121"> TYPE OF CEMENT
    </td> <td valign="top" width="210"> GB Cement
    </td> <td valign="top" width="133"> GP Cement
    </td> <td valign="top" width="142"> Off White Cement
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="121"> WHAT IT IS
    </td> <td valign="top" width="210"> GB Cement is a blended cement often marketed as Builders’ Cement (also called Masonry Cement).
    </td> <td valign="top" width="133"> GP Cement is General Purpose Cement. Prior to 1991 it was referred to as Type A Cement.
    </td> <td valign="top" width="142"> It is a finer grain GP cement but is lighter in colour (due to less iron in the cement grains).
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="121"> ITS FEATURES
    </td> <td valign="top" width="210"> It is a General Purpose Cement (GP) blended cement with approximately : 40-50 % GGBFS (Ground Granulated Blast Furnace Slag),
    OR
    25-30% Flyash,
    both of which improve the workability in the plastic state and improve the render durability in the hardened state.
    </td> <td valign="top" width="133"> GP cements develop their strength faster than GB cements but in some cases may be more prone to efflorescence (white powder on walls).
    </td> <td valign="top" width="142"> It is preferred by Architects and Builders due to its lighter colour which enhances the effects of colour oxides in renders and mortars for brickwork.
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="121"> RECOMMENDATION FOR RENDERING PURPOSES
    </td> <td valign="top" width="210"> It is lighter in colour and develops early age strength more slowly than straight General Purposes (GP) cement. This makes it popular for bricklaying and rendering. Proper curing is essential however especially in hot windy conditions in order to minimize potential for early age drying shrinkage cracking
    </td> <td valign="top" width="133"> OK in most applications and often mandatory in applications where waterproofing agents (eg Silasec) are included in the mix.
    </td> <td valign="top" width="142"> OK in most applications but care needs to be taken if exposed to a high sulphate environment.
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

GeoffW1

Quote Originally Posted by col5555 View Post
    I need to mix up some concrete (sand + aggregate) and I have heaps of "brickies grey cement" left over from a bricklaying job can I use it.
    What is the difference between general purpose cement for concrete and brickies cement apart from the lime added.

Hi,

As mentioned above brickies cement is intended for mixing mortar, but for most purposes I think it will do fine for a concrete mix in 1:2:3, cement:sand:aggregate. This will be of reasonable srength for most purposes except stressed structural concrete.

Cheers