Hire the best Bricklayer

Core hole question

Apprentice (new member)

Question Core hole question

Hey Guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum.

I have an old house (b 1958) which I wish to drill some holes through some solid double brick to run some communications conduit.

The conduit is 25mm, and i figured I would use a 30mm (or maybe 35mm) diamond core bit todo the job.

My question is, do I really need a SDS-Plus tool, the bit can optionally come with a standard hex shaft for a normal chuck..

I don't have a rotary hammer drill (not that I would use the hammer function), and I was thinking of just using my existing cordless (a decent Hitachi 18v)...

Happy to hear peoples opinions, not only on the drill choice, but also whether a diamond core bit is the right way, and whether they think something else would be better for these clay bricks?

Regards
    D.

3K Club Member

Providing the core bit is long enough to go through the double brick otherwise a pilot drill will be required so you can core from both sides.
    Don't push too hard when you are nearly through because you don't want to explode the face of the brick.
    It can be hard going without the hammer or impact function so no idea on the battery drill.

Apprentice (new member)

well my cordless does have hammer, but my understanding is that with a diamond core bit this should be disabled...

and yes, i was going to pilot hole, and then attack it from both sides (although the cutting depth of the bit is about 150mm deep)

Depends on the strength, age and type of brick and the drill device you're using.

I only have a basic brushless ryobi 18v drill with a 5aH battery and it is hopeless at drilling through my hollow core bricks. I have to use a rotary hammer drill to have a chance of getting through.

The only drill I know off that can make small holes in brickwork is my mate's Hilti drill that he paid around $600 for.

If you paid someone to drill that you'd like spend an easy $100-150, so why not just get a cheapie ozito corded SDS hammer drill. They are very useful, even if you need to pull up tiles or chip away at concrete etc.

I can't see you having any luck with a standard drill to core out 30mm.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBolt View Post
    If you paid someone to drill that you'd like spend an easy $100-150, so why not just get a cheapie ozito corded SDS hammer drill. They are very useful, even if you need to pull up tiles or chip away at concrete etc.

I can't see you having any luck with a standard drill to core out 30mm.
    Yep, that's was my other option, just didn't wanna shell out ... Do you think go with the 1600w version from Bunnings, rather than the 900w...

It doesn't have a safety clutch through, so i guess ill need to grow some muscles (or not go off axis

Thanks

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tephra View Post
    well my cordless does have hammer, but my understanding is that with a diamond core bit this should be disabled...

and yes, i was going to pilot hole, and then attack it from both sides (although the cutting depth of the bit is about 150mm deep)
    Start your way and if the going gets tough switch to hammer function.

Quote Originally Posted by Tephra View Post
    Yep, that's was my other option, just didn't wanna shell out ... Do you think go with the 1600w version from Bunnings, rather than the 900w...

It doesn't have a safety clutch through, so i guess ill need to grow some muscles (or not go off axis

Thanks
    I know, it sucks having to fork out cash for tools especially when you want to do one small job. Thankfully the sds hammer drill is useful and you can use for other jobs.
    That ozito 1600w is quite a capable tool for the money. My old man has put his through hell and 4 years later it still works well. He recently pulled up a massive kitchen's slate flooring with it and it was running for 6-7 hrs a day for 4 days straight.

I'm not aware of many SDS hammer drills having a safety clutch in them.

Just keep your body out of the way of the rotation of the drill by standing behind it and dont grapple the device too hard - the beauty of a rotary hammer drill is that it's meant to do the work for you, so only lightly push on it and letting the hammering action take up the load. Also consider drilling small holes and working your way up, dont try and drill a 30mm hole first go,

Otherwise, do you have to fit such big conduit? can you go through the roof, under the house via the air vents etc? Drill bits of that size will cost a packet.

There is a el-cheapo SDS craftright drill bit set for $20 that has 24mm sds bit in it, can you get away with smaller conduit or maybe even two lines instead of one?
    You also might be able to just run conduit to the brick, and run the line exposed inside the brick and put conduit on where it comes out the other side.

Apprentice (new member)

yep ok...

and just to re-iterate, I plan on using a 35mm diamond core bit, rather than a masonry drill bit... mainly because as you say, to get to 35mm, you would (should?) need to do 6->12->18->22->28->35.... which is a bit hard on the wallet

Ohh in that case, then do a pilot hole first and then the core bit. Maybe a bucket of water handy to dip the hole saw if it heats up too much.

I would give it a go with the Hitachi, a diamond core bit though may bottom out. Get a spray bottle of water and keep the bit wet by regularly pulling the thing out giving the cut a good squirt.

1K Club Member

I'd try one of these first rather than using a diamond bit - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SDS-Maso...4AAOSwIAxbPsQs

I bought a cheap set of 8 long bits off Ebay for around $30 -$40 and they've drilled very easily into every double brick wall i've tried when installing electrical conduit.
    You can get someone on the other side with a block of wood pressed hard up onto the brick to prevent blow-out when you go through. You don't need to press hard though, just let the bit do it's work. You could either buy a cheap SDS hammer drill or hire one.

How many comms cables are you running through the wall? 20mm conduit is usually the norm for comms cables.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    I'd try one of these first rather than using a diamond bit - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SDS-Maso...4AAOSwIAxbPsQs
    To do 32mm holes in rock I got some smaller ones off ebay and found some were not very good at all, so various ones around 14, 20, 24 or like that. As such I bought a decent 32mm from Sydney Tools so as not to burn the sds drill out as it's max recommended bore I think was around 28. I'd suggest the diamond hole saw and spray bottle but depth might be an issue.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Premium-...8AAOSwpvZaNde6

Apprentice (new member)

thanks guys - i think i've decided on getting the cheap SDS-Plus (Ozito 1600w) from bunnings, its cheap enough and will likely "save" the hitachi from a untimely death.

in terms of the "bit", i was going to go with something like https://toolsmartwa.com/products/dia...32201532211337

(I hope posting links is ok?)

Its deep enough to get through a brick in one go (ie no break bits off)... And also doesn't require pre-drilling the hole in slowly increasing sizes...

And yes, I thought about running 2x 20m conduits instead of a single 25mm, but for various reasons I will probably go with the later option...