Hire the best Bricklayer and save up to 40%

Help with double brick boundary wall cutting

Apprentice (new member)

Default Help with double brick boundary wall cutting

Hello,
    Good day everyone. I am new here in this forum. We live on a busy road and are planning to 'widen' our front entrance (gate). There is a 1m brick wall extension that I am planning to remove. This is joined to a longer (almost perpendicular.. about 110*) section that acts as common boundary between myself and my neighbor. I have had few contractors tell me that it is completely OK to remove the small 1m extension and it will not affect the integrity of the longer perpendicular section as it is double skin (brick). Wondering if anyone here has had experience removing such wall sections. Thoughts and feedback appreciated.
    Best Regards, Anandfront-wall-cut-2.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	front wall cut 2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	128725Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front wall cut 2.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	128725

No specific comment but to invoke further discussion and seek clarity:

1. are you just planning on removing the corner as you've drawn it which appears to be approx 1 brick wide facing the street and the same on the inside of the drive?
    2. or cut off approx 1 brick wide across the entire face of the wall facing the drive?
    3. Is it a rectangle or an "L" shape we are looking at in the photo.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks Bart1080. Answers below:

1. The proposed cut from the demo company is at 45* angle.. Essentially 2 brick wide cut to separate the 1m wide street facing wall from the perpendicular wall
    2. The proposal is not to just cut at the green line, but to remove the 1m wide section facing the road completely
    3. It is almost an L-shape (picture from top attached)..

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    No specific comment but to invoke further discussion and seek clarity:

1. are you just planning on removing the corner as you've drawn it which appears to be approx 1 brick wide facing the street and the same on the inside of the drive?
    2. or cut off approx 1 brick wide across the entire face of the wall facing the drive?
    3. Is it a rectangle or an "L" shape we are looking at in the photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210330_111125.jpg  

The return wall is acting as a buttress to the rest of the wall and providing stability. Removing the return wall will not make the wall fall down but it will be much more susceptible to damage if undue force is applied to it due to the leverage available with its height.
    Being a driveway if a gate is hung from it or bumped by a vehicle it is likely to crack at the mortar joints down low.
    If removing the return wall I would be installing a steel post internally in the brickwork.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks Droog. Would that have to be core-drilled into the concrete and attached to the brickwork? Appreciate if you can point me in the direction of any online suggestions. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    The return wall is acting as a buttress to the rest of the wall and providing stability. Removing the return wall will not make the wall fall down but it will be much more susceptible to damage if undue force is applied to it due to the leverage available with its height.
    Being a driveway if a gate is hung from it or bumped by a vehicle it is likely to crack at the mortar joints down low.
    If removing the return wall I would be installing a steel post internally in the brickwork.

Apprentice (new member)

Hello Bart1080,
    the 1m support section will be coming off altogether. I had used the previous diagram to show the joint between the two sections.. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210330_111125.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by sesanand View Post
    Thanks Droog. Would that have to be core-drilled into the concrete and attached to the brickwork? Appreciate if you can point me in the direction of any online suggestions. Cheers
    Depends on the wall and foundation construction. Core drilling is normally done into solid structures, I would suspect the wall is hollow the footing unknown.