Hire the best Bricklayer

Rebuilding a 1500mm x 1500mm double brick wall

Apprentice (new member)

Default Rebuilding a 1500mm x 1500mm double brick wall

I had a free standing 1500mm x 1500mm double brick wall whick was supporting a gate. The brick wall over time has leaned several degrees to the point where the mortar at the bottom of the wall has fractured and the wall could be rocked backward and forward.

The guys installing new gates to this wall were reluctant in hanging them due to the safety of the wall which was understandable.

I have now demolished the wall and dug up the concrete (or lack there of) footing which is the length of the wall (1500mm) by 600mm deep.

After digging up the footing over time it seems the weak concrete mix had deteriorated which caused the leaning of the wall in first place.

I have a concreter laying the new footing in the next day or so however I have had differing opinion from bricklayers on how the wall will be revuilt.

My question is can the mortar and brick be laid directly over the new footing or will a damp course and starter rods be needed for this wall?

When demolishing the existing wall there was no damp course and brick was laid directly to foundation.

Please note the foundation does not attach to house footing and is free standing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Jason Ebert

damp course is not required for this job, but i would build a concrete reinforced pier with starter bars at the end of the wall where the gate is to be hung.

hope this helps!

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteV View Post
    damp course is not required for this job, but i would build a concrete reinforced pier with starter bars at the end of the wall where the gate is to be hung.

hope this helps!
    Thanks Pete

I ended up putting in the starter bars and have the Bricky coming out on Sunday so hope all is ok.

Regards

Jason

Old Chippy 6K

Yep no damp course and starter bars are the way to go. With a gate to swing off it extending those bars up through the bricks might be a good idea too but simply using cross ties in the mortar will be OK. I'd be leaving that wall to cure for few weeks at least before thinking of hanging the gate back on it. Would also be looking at how the gate is hung - in that sort of situation I'd be looking at a full length piece of steel or timber (depending upon what the gates are made from) attached in a number of places to the brickwork and then hanging the gate from that. That gets around the usual problem of simply two very localised stress points (top & bottom) for the hinge mountings.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.