Hire the best Bricklayer

Repair of deep horizontal chase in (concrete) brick wall

Novice

Default Repair of deep horizontal chase in (concrete) brick wall

We have a 1950s double brick place in Adelaide, as part of our renovation we have removed some plumbing from the wall in the laundry.

The pipes in question had been in the same chase into the internal skin of the double brick wall (this skin is constructed from concrete bricks – commons/celtics? – unlike the outer skin of red brick). It is a horizontal chase of approx. 1.5-2.0m length just below the halfway height of the wall. I reckon there are about 10-15 courses of brick above it. Nothing in terms of beams/struts/ceiling joists bearing onto the wall but being the original outer wall of the house the outer edge of the roof bears onto it.

Due to brilliant 1950s plumbing, at one point three pipes (hot, cold and rainwater) had been set in the same chase which required it to be pretty deep - so I am now left with a horizontal chase of approx. 1.5m length where the brick remaining varies along the length between 3/4 and 1/3 of the original thickness, depending on whether the chase just contained pipe, or joints. Generally, the height of the chase is about a whole brick height.

I know that there are some limits for the depth of horizontal chases within brick walls – 1/3 of the depth springs to mind but that’s just off the top of my head.

If I repair this chase with a strong cement mortar mix, will this be good enough to return full strength to the wall? Or should I be getting a brickie in to gradually chip out and then replace the damaged bricks – in the same way they do when they replace full courses of bricks which have been weakened by salt damp?

2K Club Member

Mortar mix for my money. Where it's deepest you may need to jam in some bits of brick etc. The mortar won't support itself if there is too much..
    The place is ~60years old now and still standing...I don't see the requirement for toothing and replacement.

Novice

Marvellous - this was my thinking too but just wanted to get a few opinions as I'm in no an expert on these things...

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    Mortar mix for my money. Where it's deepest you may need to jam in some bits of brick etc. The mortar won't support itself if there is too much..
    The place is ~60years old now and still standing...I don't see the requirement for toothing and replacement.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.