Hire the best Bricklayer

Securing Existing Brick Wall

Apprentice (new member)

Default Securing Existing Brick Wall

All,
    I have a brick wall that ajoins between properties. At the rear corner, it wraps around for about 3m or so highlighted in red in the picture.
    The rear fence in its entirety is being removed as its rusted out including the section in red, and as it's in a pool enclosure, its being replaced with colorbond good neighbour to ensure compliance.

I will be demo'ing that small 3m section of brick wall, and the brick footing that it sits on to install the colorbond fencing which I am also doing.

My concern is that because the brick wall to the left running along the property approx 1.5m high is single tier, removing the section that wraps around could destabilise the wall.

Demoing the brick wall (the full length adjoining properties) is not an option currently.

Is there a way to tie the brick wall to the new fencing at the rear? The new colorbond fencing will also have 50x50 posts that the colorbond c channels will be tek screwed into for extra strength.

Any feedback or suggestions welcome.
    screenshot-2022-09-20-091225.jpg

3K Club Member

Run a cut down the existing side wall with a diamond saw allowing for the fitting of the new rear cb fence
    Maybe get a contractor to do it or hire a diamond saw (usually referred to as a widow maker.)
    These saws will cut within about 50 mm of the internal corner and all the way through the wall where as a diamond blade on a power saw or 9" angle grinder will not go so deep.Your choice.
    You can now demolish the rear fence
    Get some heavy sheet metal folded in U shape to cap over the end of the brick wall.
    Maybe in the colour of the new rear fence if you wish
    Build the rear fence and screw the U section end cap to the new top and bottom rail using angle brackets on you side
    Depending how tight you make the fit you may have to fit the angle brackets to the U section first before slipping the U section into place.

Any sheet metal shop will knock up the U section for you and angle brackets available at hardware or from where you get the U section made.
    https://www.bing.com/search?form=MOZ...metal+adelaide

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks Cyclic,

See photo of what I think you mean. I believe I said the SHS inbetween the good neighbor panels was 50mm but its 65mm.
    I might be able to tek screw the colorbond C channel posts (that is screwed already to the 65mm post) directly to the new U channel that is capping the end of the brick.
    If that doesnt work, I could get the angle 90deg bend, eg 20mm x 20mm and tek that to the brick end U channel?
    What is your thoughts about the thickness of the brick end U channel, 3mm?

screenshot-2022-09-25-220451.png

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by switched View Post
    Thanks Cyclic,

See photo of what I think you mean. I believe I said the SHS inbetween the good neighbor panels was 50mm but its 65mm.
    I might be able to tek screw the colorbond C channel posts (that is screwed already to the 65mm post) directly to the new U channel that is capping the end of the brick.
    If that doesnt work, I could get the angle 90deg bend, eg 20mm x 20mm and tek that to the brick end U channel?
    What is your thoughts about the thickness of the brick end U channel, 3mm?

Yes to everything.
    Once the rear wall is gone it may be easier to come up with something better ??