Hire the best Concreting Expert

advice on self levelling of garage concrete floor

Apprentice (new member)

Default advice on self levelling of garage concrete floor

hey guys,

My garage concrete floor isnt very level, in the near future I intend to lay "timber look" flooring in there so I need it fairly level.

the garage hasnt had a car in it for many years so there is no oil in the concrete, more than anything it needs a good pressure wash.
    I

Can anyone recommend a good self leveler and some tips on how I should go about this? Does the existing concrete need to be prepared in anyway to ensure a good bond, result, etc. I dont expect to get it perfect but better than how it is now! I dont know if this makes a difference but the existing concrete isnt a smooth finish like they do in newer places, the finish looks like normal footpath style concrete (rough on top).

thanks,

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by madmuso View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good self leveler and some tips on how I should go about this? Does the existing concrete need to be prepared in anyway to ensure a good bond, result, etc. I dont expect to get it perfect but better than how it is now! I dont know if this makes a difference but the existing concrete isnt a smooth finish like they do in newer places, the finish looks like normal footpath style concrete (rough on top).

thanks,
    The type of surface, finish and condition of the concrete will determine the plan of action and prep products to use. Have a good read of the attached PDF for an idea on this. Sounds like your concrete may fall under the porous category??

Lanko 133 Pro Level v1.1.pdf

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    The type of surface, finish and condition of the concrete will determine the plan of action and prep products to use. Have a good read of the attached PDF for an idea on this. Sounds like your concrete may fall under the porous category??

Lanko 133 Pro Level v1.1.pdf

see Floor Levelling
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

I presume you are turning this into a living area. Why not batten out the floor (level) and lay real timber down. I would lay plastic over the concrete first and then batten it out. This prevents moisture rising through the concrete. I'm assuming there is not a water proof membrane under your slab.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    I presume you are turning this into a living area. Why not batten out the floor (level) and lay real timber down. I would lay plastic over the concrete first and then batten it out. This prevents moisture rising through the concrete. I'm assuming there is not a water proof membrane under your slab.
    Yeah, it will be a living area, actually im turning it into a music rehearsal space. I dont want to batten out the floor cause I'll lose more height in the room, its already going to be fairly low (due to working with the already existing structure) so I wanna keep the floor as low as possible.

I checked out the Lanko stuff today at bunnings, the instructions said that if the sub surface is prone to rising damp that you should firstly prep the area with Lanko expoxy, or davco moisture barrier, I will definatelly do this, I dont want the lining boards to get stuffed.

I can only assume that given the age of the house the slab has no plastic under it. Then again, it might.

I actually called the flooring supplier today and they are gonna come around to have a look to see if I do need to level the floor out. Im hoping after they inspect it that it ok, will save me a days work. But I will still apply the moisture barrier regardless.

I will check out the pdf and other link given, thanks heaps for the help and info guys! appreciate it.

Battens only need to be 19 mm and floor boards are the same, 19mm. Just as an option

possibility the garage doesnt have membrane under it to prevent moisture, lay some down before you start ~$100 a roll.
    cheers Look out if I have a tape measure in my hand.....I'm upto something