Hire the best Concreting Expert

Advice on wall next to fence!

Default Advice on wall next to fence!

I have a tricky problem. I had a deal with my neighbour for him to build the fence if I pay for the materials. This didn't work out so I built most of it.
    On the right the neighbours had an old stone wall, but the concrete had mostly crumbled away. I knew I'd have to build him a new wall as he didn't want to so I just ran the fence along the base of where the wall used to be.

I now have a problem. I can't excavate the dirt out along the house side as the exterior wall foundation is dry stacked small stones about 18 inches high. Digging anywhere near it will destabilise it. The rest of the house is up on mallee stumps. I am preparing the house to sell in about 6 months so want to pave down this side. How can I build a concrete wall right next to this fence so I can refill the area and pave it. Don't worry about regulations as if they were ever applied out here most of the town would be condemned and bulldozed.

I do have a concrete mixer as I've grown tired of mixing cement in a wheelbarrow.

Janine

img_3086-copy.jpg

P.S Ignore the red arrow. That is my new post for a gate I need to build.

Did you build the fence? Looks nice and spright but you got the bad side of it.

Anyway ... what do you mean by concrete wall? Using concrete blocks and mortar on a concrete footing? Lots of work.
    You could use retaining wall blocks, whatever you can source out there and make a small retaining wall of sorts against the fence and then level with sand and lay pavers. That's a lot of work too by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Did you build the fence? Looks nice and spright but you got the bad side of it.
    I know. I was really stupid and just put it up the same way as the last one, which was falling over. After I dug all the post holes in 40C heat I was probably half brain dead by the time I started putting up the fence. I've put a small 10X10 concrete strip all along the other side of the yard, all mixed by hand. I also did a stone wall for a garden along half of it too.

I can get basalt rocks suitable for a wall to go along next to the fence. I just have to load them myself into my old trailer. I suppose it doesn't matter what the wall looks like as long as dirt can't escape through and the top can be levelled with concrete I suppose.

The small trench going down the side is where I got the water pipe shifted to. It used to run along the top of the ground and weaved in and out of the old fence posts, really annoying when I was doing the fence. I had 90 minutes to dig the trench to the front meter, about twice the length of the house. At least I am getting fit!!!!

Well ... ok ... I suppose that going to Bunnings for a truckload of retaining wall blocks is out of the question.
    No matter ... if you can collect rocks and can mix some strong mud to set the stones, you can dig a small trench along the fence, fill half of it with small stones and pack them down. Then start building the edge of the paving with more stones and mud. The idea is to have a line of containment for the sand so it does not shift from under the last line of pavers
    I am not a landscaper and have seen laying pavers without paying too much attention so I don't know if you would start against the house or against the fence with your first row, either way the last line of pavers on each side must be set on mud not on sand. All the others go on packed and levelled river sand. Forget mixing the sand with dry cement. not needed.

Thanks for the help Marc. I've spent a lot of hours searching the forums for answers in recent months. That's how I figured out how to build the fence.

By mud I am guessing you mean mortar. I was going to get quite large basalt rocks, whatever I could manage to lift into the trailer. It is a 60m walk from where I can park the trailer into the yard to work on that side of the house. So whatever I do will be a lot of work.

I thought about concreting the whole side of the house but that wouldn't look very nice. I also wondered about laying the basalt rock so it looks like a flagstone walkway down there. The pavers were going to be recycled from the back of the house but I've also been considering using them for garden paths.

I am willing to get stuck in to do whatever it takes but am trying to contain costs as I don't have much money.

River sand here, and what is sold with blue metal for the concrete mix has quite large grains, about 2mm diameter. The ants don't like it, but I don't think it would be a good base for pavers. I will see what other sand I can source.

Thanks again,

Janine

Coarse sand with particles that have sharp edges is good for bedding pavers because it locks and the particles don't roll. For filling between the gaps once you finished bedding fine river sand is best so you can brush it between the joints. An initial layer of aggregate of say 10 mm diameter before the bedding sand may be needed. Also you will ahve to rent a compacting plate. Yes mud is the term for mortar ... not sure why.

What about just levelling the dirt and covering it with 100mm of gravel? It is only tidying it up for sale isn't it?
    Measure twice, cut once, trim some off the end, trim some more. Too short. Rinse, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Spottiswoode View Post
    What about just levelling the dirt and covering it with 100mm of gravel? It is only tidying it up for sale isn't it?

Yes it is. But presentation is everything. Outback homes average 150-200 000. Houses elsewhere cost many times more than that. What I get for this house will determine whether I can move a couple of thousand kms and buy a home I hope to retire in.

I am trying to achieve maximum impact with not too much expense. Who knows what is going to happen to the housing market in the next six or so months?

I am collecting a trailer load of blue rock (basalt) tonight and will decide on how to use it once I check whether they have a flat enough face to use for a very low wall or if I can utilse it elsewhere.

I am starting to really like my garden and house after the work I've done recently.