Hire the best Concreting Expert

Concrete colour sealer problem

Apprentice (new member)

Default Concrete colour sealer problem

Hi Can anyone help, I recently painted my driveway with nutech pavecoat coloured bluestone concrete sealer, and now after 8 weeks some areas are starting to wear off, now the concrete is over 20 years old, it had a colour mixed in the concrete already not a sealer, I believe I did all the right prep, cleaned and acid etched driveway as concrete was so old not all grime came out of concrete, 3 coats with roller 1st 50% thinners 2 coats full, can anyone advise what my best solution would be, as I believe I may of not cleaned the driveway properly and some sealer has not adhered would this be correct could I do another coat on top or would it do the same. Thanks.

Apprentice (new member)

I believe i may have found my problem, i used thinners instead of solvent which has caused the cararistics of the sealer to break down and not work as it should, can anyone confirm this.

when you acid etched the driveway down did you high pressure water blast the acid off after or just hose it down? Acid leaves a dust film that needs high pressure water blast to remove which I see often as a main problem for non bonding of sealer to existing concrete. Not sure about the properties of thinners but concrete sealer is a xylene based product. The only other product I know of which is compatable is Tolulene.
    Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

Apprentice (new member)

I did hose and pressure washed but only with a karcher 1400psi unit, i left the concrete to dry for over 24 hours, then applied first coat with thinners which i noticed was real watery, which i have been told may have caused the issue, i did paint another section with just sealer no dilution and that is ok, I was ment to use solvent to dilute the sealer a little, thinners is a cleaner for sealer, not to be used to dilute sealer as it will break down the sealer and apparently not adhere correctly causing it to wash off and wear off quicker, I was told by a concreter to re do the job, on top of other sealer which has only been on for 8weeks, first coat dilute with 20 percent solvent, so it adheres to other sealer then top coat full no dilution and should be ok, but i will test small area first to see what happens, can you confirm this cementer