Hire the best Concreting Expert

Concrete Slab

Apprentice (new member)

Default Concrete Slab

I want to put a concrete slab down so i can build a shed on it. i have the appropriate permits and have dug my foundation holes, i am just wondering the best way to get the slab level, and how much the boxing costs. the shed is 6m x 6m. i have done a tiny bit of concreting before but that is a very small amount. any help would be appreciated. thanks
    josh

The easiest/cheapest/most accurate way of establishing a level is with a length of garden hose with a clear bit at each end.

Fill with water, it'll find its own level - voila!

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...ter-level.aspx

As for boxing - wet concrete can exert a fair bit of pressure so you need fairly stout timber and lots of pegs driven into the ground.

For my only large scale concreting job, I used treated pine sleepers as the boxing - but I did this because I needed them for landscaping after their formwork job was over, so they were dual purpose (and the concretor had a chuckle at the overkill!)

If you are a n00b at concreting...I'd seriously recommend NOT doing your own pour unless you cut it down into more manageable sections - 3x3 would be about the maximum in one go; you really dont want 4-odd cubic meters of concrete sitting around waiting for you to spread and level it!
    DIY electrical wiring to AS/NZS3000 - details here - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

I used " ply, cut into 300mm strips and braced with a lot of pegs that I cut from 1x2" pine battens. I had to go 300mm deep around the edges though, if you're just doing a steel shed, 100mm may do it, in which case 90x35mm framing pine may be the go.

Have a look at my workshop thread, might have some useful info (or not!)

http://www.renovateforum.com/showthread.php?t=73540
    Cheers,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by jkrefrigeration View Post
    I want to put a concrete slab down so i can build a shed on it. i have the appropriate permits and have dug my foundation holes, i am just wondering the best way to get the slab level, and how much the boxing costs. the shed is 6m x 6m. i have done a tiny bit of concreting before but that is a very small amount. any help would be appreciated. thanks
    josh
    For the boxing you could easily use 90mm x 19 decking, with pegs every 400mm or so (set the decking 15mm or so off the ground to get your 100mm thick slab).

Seeing as how you have not really done any concreting before, may I suggest you tackle small sections, rather than the whole 6m x 6m, an easier job would be 2.4m x 6m, the size of a sheet of reo, and only approx 1.5m3 of concrete.

Old Chippy 6K

I'm with master splinter on this one - IMO this is not a job for a novice at working with concrete. The slab will make or break the shed and almost everyone (even tradies who are not concreters under-estimate (a) how hard it is to get the ground and slab level; (b) how important is the boxing up (and I would NOT use 19mm anything!) (c) how heavy wet concrete is; (d) how much knowledge is needed to screed off and the finish off. And getting it square and level and flat too is absolutely critical.

I have poured more slabs that I can count and what did I do for me new 9m x 6m shed a few months ago - got in the pros! I designed the slab (MP30 mix with 300 x 250 perimeter edge beams and 120mm slab and supervised, but they did the job.

As it happened it was a cold Canberra day, no wind and a southern sheltered position and the concrete just did not want to go off. The first screeding was finished midday, but the poor buggers were still finishing off the top with steel trowels (after the 'helicopter') at 10pm under lights and finished the job near midnight!

So sure erect the shed and finish off and do the ramp or paths etc, but i reckon pay the money for the slab - money well spent. Or find someone who has done it before (at least a few times) and get them to do it with. Even a pro will let you labour with them usually (so long as you stay out of ther way!).

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    I'm with master splinter on this one - IMO this is not a job for a novice at working with concrete.
    no argument there.

(and I would NOT use 19mm anything!)
    19mm merbu decking with pegs at 400 spacing have worked fine for me a number of times, no, not dumb luck or anything like that either.

Golden Member

Default Slabs and amateurs

I'm with Bloss. A slab of that size is no amateur job. And, contrary to his story, the day you do it will be hot and windy. No better, worse.

I speak from bitter experience, having tried to lay and finish about 3 x 2 metres alone (and 2 minicrete truckloads at that, different story) on a warmish - not hot - day. Not pretty, one of these days I'll get around to re-finishing it .....