Hire the best Concreting Expert

DIY Concrete footings for carport - do-able?

Default DIY Concrete footings for carport - do-able?

Hi All,

Owing to slope issues we've had to split our carport and garage positions so we're now looking at concrete footings rather than a complete slab for our carport. Whilst I wouldn't attempt a 6x6 slab myself I'd like to know if it's realistic and possible for the DIYer to do their own concrete footings for a 6x6m carport?

There will be 6 posts built on top of an area that is filled and surrounded by retaining walls, the slop drops from front to back so the front 3 posts will be in very little fill and but the back three will need to go through 1m, 70cm and 50cm (approx) before they hit the original ground. I haven't yet filled the area so is it possible to place some sort of mould around the point of the footings so I can just fill around the mould and then pour the footings directly into it rather than filling then digging out?

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Zarniwoop

3K Club Member

Look forward to discussion on deep footings in fill. I'm likely to be doing something similar (house).

I'm mostly wondering if posts can be in the upper level of concrete footing rather than all the way down. Also wondering if you can fix to the concrete footing rather than embedded in the concrete. Sorry (hijack).

I would think that trying to fill and compact around a formwork would be impossible. You would fill and compact in layers and then come in and dig the footings.

Quote Originally Posted by zarniwoop View Post
    I'd like to know if it's realistic and possible for the DIYer to do their own concrete footings for a 6x6m carport?
    G'day Zarniwoop (insert some witty comment about being in your office on an intergalactic cruise)

Yes it is a very realistic option to do your own concrete footings. Your carport approval will have the required footing specifications for your area.
    As it is a carport, I assume you will have reasonable access and will be able to discharge your concrete straight from the truck down the holes.

Personally I would fill the area for the carport with the appropriate compaction and then dig the holes required for the footings. This would require a lot less mucking around and digging in fill will be easy.

Good luck and happy digging.
    Tools are good, more tools are better!

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    I'm mostly wondering if posts can be in the upper level of concrete footing rather than all the way down. Also wondering if you can fix to the concrete footing rather than embedded in the concrete.
    G'day Su

If the concrete has some reinforcing in it (vertical) you can fix your posts to the footing without embedding them at all. Threaded rods can be cast into the concrete and the post/column fixed to them. Non shrink grout used under the base plate of the post allows for some variation in the finished level of the concrete.

3K Club Member

Thanks Belair Boy.

I like that option. It would seem cost effective where deep fill is involved. I suppose it would have to be ticked off by an engineer tho. I guess any deep fill footings would anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Belair_Boy View Post
    G'day Zarniwoop (insert some witty comment about being in your office on an intergalactic cruise)

Yes it is a very realistic option to do your own concrete footings. Your carport approval will have the required footing specifications for your area.
    As it is a carport, I assume you will have reasonable access and will be able to discharge your concrete straight from the truck down the holes.

Personally I would fill the area for the carport with the appropriate compaction and then dig the holes required for the footings. This would require a lot less mucking around and digging in fill will be easy.

Good luck and happy digging.
    Thanks Belair (even Zarniwoop needed to settle down sooner or later and start doing home renos ;-)

Any suggestions for how to secure the post before the concrete is poured? I've done plenty of wooden fence posts etc but never a steel post - hard to drill support planks to

Now I just need to work out how to dig a footing hole 1.5M deep

Quote Originally Posted by zarniwoop View Post
    Any suggestions for how to secure the post before the concrete is poured?
    Assuming you are going to embed the end of the post in the concrete. Drill a hole in the bottom of the post and put a short length of reinforcing rod through it, ~ 200 mm N12 will stop it pulling out of the concrete. Using a G clamp, fix a piece of timber long enough to span the hole (in the ground) near the bottom of the post with the required amount to be embedded in concrete down the hole. Two more G clamps are used to clamp bracing timber to the post and adjust for plumb. Lengths of steel can be used instead of timber and metal plates with threaded rod in lieu of the G clamps but just use whatever is to hand.

If the hole is too small to get into, digging deeper than arms length can be awkward but it is possible to dig 1.5m with just a long handled shovel, crowbar and a metal can fixed to a stick. One of those post hole diggers looks like it could be useful but I have never had one. I have a Stihl two man post hole auger which I start holes off with where possible but have dug very deep holes (a well) with a hand post hole and extension rods.
    Depending on how you value your time and effort, a truck with a drilling rig will make short work of 6 holes.

Happy digging.