Hire the best Concreting Expert

Exposed aggregate driveway issues

Apprentice (new member)

Default Exposed aggregate driveway issues

I have a couple of issues with an exposed aggregate driveway I recently had put in, and was looking for any advice.

The concrete was originally very underexposed, so the guys came back and tried to rectify the issue with a high pressure house. It looks better than it did, but it still doesn't look right to me. It's quite patchy, with some areas still underexposed and a couple of patches where the stones have dislodged. The photos aren't great, but I'd really appreciate any feedback on whether there is an issue, and how (or if) this could be improved?

The second issue is that they did different segments of the driveway on different days, which is now very obvious (see photos). Is there any way to help with this ?

And finally, is it standard to have exposed aggregate washed and sealed after it is put in. I had assumed it was, but it wasn't explicitly in the contract and am starting to think I may have been wrong on this.

Some other work this company did at my place was great, and the guys on site were good guys and hard workers, but it just seemed the driveway got a bit away from them. At this point I just want to have as much info as possible before I have another chat with to the owner. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resized_20210329_091526.jpg   resized_20210329_091707.jpg   img_0075.jpg   4.jpg   resized_20210329_091643.jpg  

resized_20210329_091605.jpg  

It's a poor job, any attempt a 'rectifying' will make it worse.
    You will probably get used to the look. Not that such makes it better.
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

any chance you could get the advice from another concreter that does this work....for a second "constructive" opinion?

The reason I say "constructive" is depending on who it is, they may bag the crap out of the job and you may need to read between the lines.

Community Moderator

I can do a reasonable job at concreting but I would never attempt exposed as you have to be pretty experienced as to when to hose the concrete.
    I had my driveway and paths done with small aggregate and it came out perfect but the concreter was experienced and it was done in winter which gave the concreter more time. One of the jobs look quite good but the other looks neither like exposed or standard non exposed finish.
    Looks like a summer job where the concrete got away from them.
    As others have said it can’t be fixed now except by replacement.

A strong acid wash then pressure spray might help the dull one if the pour was recent.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It's a poor job, any attempt a 'rectifying' will make it worse.
    You will probably get used to the look. Not that such makes it better.
    Thanks. I thought that was probably the case, but it's good to have it confirmed.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    I can do a reasonable job at concreting but I would never attempt exposed as you have to be pretty experienced as to when to hose the concrete.
    I had my driveway and paths done with small aggregate and it came out perfect but the concreter was experienced and it was done in winter which gave the concreter more time. One of the jobs look quite good but the other looks neither like exposed or standard non exposed finish.
    Looks like a summer job where the concrete got away from them.
    As others have said it can’t be fixed now except by replacement.
    It definitely got away from them. It was a hot day and the concrete truck didn't turn up to late morning.

I agree with acid and pressure clean again ... but it is neither a DIY nor a free job, so ... it is more of a legal matter than a technical now. Or a "Let it go" matter perhaps
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I agree with acid and pressure clean again ... but it is neither a DIY nor a free job, so ... it is more of a legal matter than a technical now. Or a "Let it go" matter perhaps
    I'm on the fence with those two options at the moment. I'll have a chat to the guy and gauge how open he is to coming back and doing that. Hopefully it's not a big issue. If it is, I'm probably leaning towards the latter option.

Thanks for your help.