Hire the best Concreting Expert

Fixing shoddy new concrete steps

Novice

Default Fixing shoddy new concrete steps

Hi all,

Just had an old concrete path replaced and new steps added.
    This is what I am left with.

I don't think it's good enough, it looks more like they were moulded by hand with play-doh.

I'm still trying to get the concreter to return my calls (of course he was very quick to contact me when quoting/booking the job).

Am I being too picky or is there any way of fixing these?

I assume it would have to be some sort of levelling compound/grout/mortar or something that can be applied in a thin coat?
    Is there a finish that can be trowelled/stippled so it isn't too slippery? It would also need to be quite a similar colour to the concrete.
    Obviously I can't add 50mm of concrete on top.

Would something like this work: https://aus.sika.com/en/46017/floori...illscreed.html

This new step has been added to an existing path that slopes (I'm ok with that as it is only occasional use by me):

These 2 new steps are down to my front door so will be seen/used all the time:

Any recommendations?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210714_100812.jpg   20210714_100755.jpg   20210714_100750.jpg  

Golden Member

....depends.

sometimes you only get what you pay for. What I mean is maybe for a professional job it was double the price
    And then other times you pay good money for a what is essentially a backyard Joe job.

The second steps don't look too bad, I've seen a lot worse although I'd probably take that sharp edge off the top step...lightly with a grinder after 5 days when its not so soft.

This new step has been added to an existing path that slopes (I'm ok with that as it is only occasional use by me):
    Not sure what you mean by this. So are you happy or unhappy with the result?
    Either way, its either start again...cutting back from the step or pave over the top using the steps as your base if you want that right hand side to look better.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    ....depends.

sometimes you only get what you pay for. What I mean is maybe for a professional job it was double the price
    And then other times you pay good money for a what is essentially a backyard Joe job.

The second steps don't look too bad, I've seen a lot worse although I'd probably take that sharp edge off the top step...lightly with a grinder after 5 days when its not so soft.

Not sure what you mean by this. So are you happy or unhappy with the result?
    Either way, its either start again...cutting back from the step or pave over the top using the steps as your base if you want that right hand side to look better.

Cheers,

It was a mid range price, all the other concreting jobs I've had done in the past have been better finish though. It was done by a concreter though, not just some random.
    The lines but into the path are a bit crooked, boxing not real flash etc. I can live with those issues but would have preferred a better finish on the steps.

The step with the hose lying on it was butted up to an existing path that has quite a side slope to it, I'm not worried that the step up to the path is higher at one side than the other (it's a path that is rarely used, and only used by me). The finish on the vertical face isn't great though.

Maybe if I can't live with them, I'll have to cut them back and get someone to replace them.

Is it possible to smooth out the rough finish with a flap disc or similar on a grinder?
    It's mostly the corner where it goes from horizontal to vertical that bothers me.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by cossie View Post
    It was done by a concreter though, not just some random.
    ...in that case I would have expected the tops of the steps to have had a "Bullnose Edger" run over the tops of all the stairs to take off that sharp edge. It rounds over the edge instead of having the sharp corners you've been left with. A light grind will fix it.

and the front of the steps then also look a bit amateurish in finish.

1K Club Member

Unfortunately the whole job looks poor to my untrained eye. The steps are a disgrace and the drain doesn't work so I reckon you need to have the hard conversation with them about pulling it all out. Anything else is going to be a patch up that won't last.

Tools

If this was your cousin doing it for free, I say it's a good effort.
    If you paid for this ... well ... I believe it can be fixed with this one tool
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

Are you sure it was done by a concreter, didn't they form it up as well as waiting around before finally finishing it off! I would report that effort as defective if you paid a tradesman. I agree with Marc's idea.

I would be dissappointed with it, that is poor work and as rough as. Marc has the right idea, the alternative is to run a render over it with an arris or rounded edge, although a render it not quite as durable as a single pour with correct finish

Ok ... no one wants to make fun of you.
    To repair concrete, there is only one product that is designed for this and that works.
    https://www.jaybro.com.au/fosrocr-re...hoCR4oQAvD_BwE

Renderoc requires a primer to be applied first or it will not adhere properly. Used extensively by RMS contractors to repair concreters mistakes on public roads.
    Priming reinforcing steel is necessary, using Nitoprime Zincrich. Substrate priming should be undertaken with Nitobond HAR primer. HB40 can be applied as soon as the primer becomes tacky. Note that Nitobond HAR primer is not used when wet spraying Renderoc HB40. Refer to the manufacturer for further information.
    Max Planck

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Tools View Post
    Unfortunately the whole job looks poor to my untrained eye. The steps are a disgrace and the drain doesn't work so I reckon you need to have the hard conversation with them about pulling it all out. Anything else is going to be a patch up that won't last.

Tools
    The drain is waiting for me to connect it up on the other side of the sleeper.
    I have to dig a trench through the tree roots and run it into a spoon drain on the other side.

Still trying to get hold of the concreter (surprise, surprise).

Worst case I can see myself paying someone else to remove and replace those 2 steps.

I guess for such a small quantity, half a dozen bags of pre-mix would suffice?
    Obviously it's too small for a concrete truck.

It doesn't seem like anything else can be applied over the top successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by cossie View Post
    It doesn't seem like anything else can be applied over the top successfully.
    Wrong, read previous post
    Max Planck

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Wrong, read previous post
    That product looks interesting but I doubt primer would be needed in this case, I would not expect to see any reo in those steps.
    Given the need to cut back 10mm to avoid feathered edge I suspect it would be a lot easier to totally demolish ant start from scratch.

Reo needs one kind of primer, concrete a different one.
    Demolishing needs no primer at all.
    Max Planck

Novice

I think additional 10mm minimum to screed it will be a problem.
    Combined with the potential for a different finish/colour means I reckon it may be best to demo and start again.

Looks like I might have to diy it as the Concreter has gone to ground.
    I'll be sure to leave suitable reviews for his business where I can