Hire the best Concreting Expert

Old two concrete strip driveway- want to fill middle with concrete with rocks on top?

DBR

Default Old two concrete strip driveway- want to fill middle with concrete with rocks on top?

Good morning,

I have the traditional two concrete strip 60's driveway.. don't get me wrong, whilst I love the weeds in the middle (it will never become grass with our traffic) I would like to simply dig out the middle, use the two strips as formework- add concrete and of course blue metal/ grey coloured rocks on top....

Initially I thought abuot just digging it out and adding rocks, but I would prefer they be fixed in some way.... I don't want to see hardly any, if any concrete....

Surely it isn't as simple as laying a slab and while its still wet scattering and pushing rocks halfway in on surface? does a product need to be added?

I also need to do a small section of our pebblecrete pool pathway,, I have the stones, just need to concrete and fill a square hole to match thepool pebblecrete..

thanks,

Old Chippy 6K

Usual method is to include the surface finish aggregate (if a cheap one like blue metal or washed river pebbles etc) in the concrete mix at the correct size the concrete is screeded off and allowed to go off then simply hosed off with a spray nozzle to remove a small amount of the fines from around the top layer of aggregate. Some use a broom to brush off and then a final light hose. Once fully set then the aggregate can be cleaned of any remaining smearing. The fine pebblectrete is usually applied as a resin embedded coating that is troweled on over a concrete base.

But for the filling of the strips you could also just excavate, add some weed mat or black plastic then fill with anything that will compact - scalping, roadbase, or any coloured base such as semi-decomposed granite. For that matter just fill up with aggregate since it is captured between the two strips.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    Usual method is to include the surface finish aggregate (if a cheap one like blue metal or washed river pebbles etc) in the concrete mix at the correct size the concrete is screeded off and allowed to go off then simply hosed off with a spray nozzle to remove a small amount of the fines from around the top layer of aggregate. Some use a broom to brush off and then a final light hose. Once fully set then the aggregate can be cleaned of any remaining smearing. The fine pebblectrete is usually applied as a resin embedded coating that is troweled on over a concrete base.

But for the filling of the strips you could also just excavate, add some weed mat or black plastic then fill with anything that will compact - scalping, roadbase, or any coloured base such as semi-decomposed granite. For that matter just fill up with aggregate since it is captured between the two strips.
    I was once told that before spraying it off is to mist it with a sugar water mix.

Community Moderator

Just be aware its looks crap as I did one and it looked that way. If you do something innovative like exposed river gravel in the mix it should look better but plain concrete looks rubbish.

Deactivated User

For exposed ag, you need boiling water to be able to dissolve the sugar, let cool a bit then add to weed sprayer. Lightly squirt the top of the ready to go surface exposing the agg. I think they might also use the hose to help things along to. After a couple of days it just gets sealed with a spray on sealer. Type unknown

If using any finish concrete I'd also pin/dowel the 2 existing slabs into the new section to ensure long term stability.

Crazy paving might look quite good. Just throwing the idea out there.

4K Club Member

Hot water & cement don't mix, water over 50'c will flash set cement, there are retarders available which are readily available, but for a small job like this just a pressure washer will do the job.
    inter