Hire the best Concreting Expert

Recommendations: Electric Concrete Mixer

Default Recommendations: Electric Concrete Mixer

I am looking for a good second hand electric concrete mixer.

What are the best quality brands I should be looking at?

Old Chippy 6K

First question is for what purpose ie: is it a single particular job (and how large is that and over what period etc)? Is it DIY only? If a large job then you will save little money over a bulk delivery - even smaller jobs are a PITA to hand mix - if you can set things up ready to go a mimimix load is often a better option. Unless its a large volume then bagged concrete and a mixing with larry https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-f...r-hoe_p3360935 or https://www.bunnings.com.au/cyclone-...r-hoe_p0013529 in a wheelbarrow does an OK job.

Given the low cost of mixers why would you go second hand?

A search on eBay or Amazon will show you all sorts of options for mixers
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

It's for a number of jobs over a number of months, but will look into a mimimix load as well as a cement hoe.

Would still like to know what the best quality brand of electric cement mixer is if anybody knows.

Lightburn was a major manufacturer of cement mixers for many years, not sure of the current quality or if the brand has been sold to overseas owners.

What about "Easymix" (Total Tools); "Westmix" and "Kelso" (Bunnings)?

I bought mine second hand from Gumtree. It is the one tradesman use, and is old and rusty but will keep on working for another 50 years.
    It is from this mob, but probably from the 1980 or so.
    https://roncut.com.au/product/product-1/

Mixers are classified according to the capacity in cubic feet. Tradesman mixers are 3.5 cubic feet, or 100L. Don't buy a smaller "Ozito" tipe or China fantastic, even less if second hand. A snapped axle with a full load of concrete in it, can be dangerous, not to mention messy.
    Tradesman mixers are small run production in a metal fabrication shop and brands mean nothing.

New expect to pay over $1000 ... second hand ... can be as cheap as $300. Make sure it is clean inside, no hard concrete in it. A bit of rust outside is expected.
    The electric motor and belt, must have his cover in place or you will stuff it up when you work. Wheels may be busted if it was sitting in a hot shed for years. They are relatively cheap to replace from any builders supply, wheels are the same as in good quality wheelbarrow.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-home-ga...edirected=true
    “It is not necessary to accept everything as true, one must only accept it as necessary”
    Franz Kafka

Don't worry that much about brand for light use, Westmix or similar will be fine. Better off spending on a barrow with wheel bearings and decent build quality.

4K Club Member

Just make sure the barrow fits under the mixer easliy and well
    My cheap wheel barrow did not fit properly under my cheap mixer and gave me a few problems over the years.
    Mine had a plastic belt cover that only lasted a year until the warranty ran out so get metal if possible
    It sold on Gumtree a few years ago as a fixer-upper and I was happy to accept $50-
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Don't worry that much about brand for light use, Westmix or similar will be fine. Better off spending on a barrow with wheel bearings and decent build quality.
    Agree, all the barrows from Bunnings are a disgrace, leave them out in the weather for 6 months and they are rusted out.
    They do sell Westmix which I think are Australian made, the rest of them are rust buckets.

I wish Bunnings would check the quality of their suppliers products over a longer term, so see how the product holds out.

I have seen so many Sherlock barrows in skip bins, i'm not talking the cheap ones, it's the $200+ "Trade" models and the Poly versions, complete waste of money.

I still have my Kelso's from 10 years ago, only slight bit of rust around the bolts, other thenthatstill look fine.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    I still have my Kelso's from 10 years ago, only slight bit of rust around the bolts, other thenthatstill look fine.
    Would this one be acceptable?
    barrow.jpg