Hire the best Concreting Expert

Removed Bath, no Concrete under it. But I want a shower!

Apprentice (new member)

Default Removed Bath, no Concrete under it. But I want a shower!

I am in the process of renovating a bathroom, its a small room, 1.5M x 2.3M.

Removing a bath/shower and a replacing that with a vanilla shower, and replace dated tiles and cabinetry with newer stuff. This will also resolve a slow leak that's allowing moisture into the wall adjoining the old bath... The house is not on stilts, so its got concrete foundations in earth and the slab is on top of the soil.

I was expecting the bath to be sitting on the concrete slab, it was however sitting on screed only that was built up on rubble. I have removed the screed and there is now a hole in the slab - full length of the room, & 0.8m wide (so 1.5m x 0.8m).

The plan is for a shower to go here, with a single glass screen. So not allot of weight. My tiler is due out shortly and has advised that I need to fill the hole to the same level as the existing pad and he can then screed etc. I'd like to do this "correctly", to reduce the risk of sheer / movement (ie both to avoid cracks in tiles but probably more importantly to avoid damaging the waterproof membrane)

While I enjoy getting on the tools, I don't know concrete from soap... I've read some posts on this and other forums that the concrete should have reo, and that the existing pad should be drilled every 300mm and rods to be fixed in place.

Is this a standard? Sounds "sound" to me but thought I'd triple check before I start work.. I was originally thinking that would be at the join between the old slab and my new slab (ie the middle of the room). But I suspect that the rods should be on all 4 sides of the hole?

Appreciate the guidance from you folk with experience.

Question summary:
    1. Rods @ 300mm spacing, along all four walls?
    2. If so, how do you fix the rod into the existing slab?
    3. Reo required?
    4. Plastic sheet required? I assume so, to lock in moisture and get the best cure?
    5. If so, do I roll the sheet up the edges or tuck under the existing slab?
    6. Depth of concrete? I suspect the existing slab in the bathroom to be quite skinny (~50mm) but am still removing screed so not sure of that yet..

Apprentice (new member)

img_9989.jpg
    Photo of current state

Default Removed Bath, no Concrete under it. But I want a shower!

Iím no expert but I would:

1. get plumber to do waste and renew pipes
    2. termite spray
    3. plastic , no need to tuck under.
    4. if existing slab is 50mm, remove it and lay a whole new 100mm slab
    5. drill 12mm holes and hammer in reo
    6. sl72 mesh

2. If so, how do you fix the rod into the existing slab?
    32mm hole and non shrink grout or 14mm hole and chemset at a rough guess. I would use 12mm gal starter bars. Punchiing them in a smaller hole probably okay too.