Hire the best Concreting Expert

Roadbase as a substitute for sand and gravel?

4K Club Member

Default Roadbase as a substitute for sand and gravel?

Not for structural use but as a base and brick footing for our proposed firepit.
    We have a credit with our local landscaper due to the cancellation of a pre-paid skip delivery and we are going to be using roadbase under the brick paving that was supposed to have been done before that last lockdown.
    If I did use roadbase as an aggregate substitute what ratio of GB cement would be needed assuming I hire a mixer that is on the small side.
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

The road base will almost certainly have clay in it, if it does it isn’t suitable

4K Club Member

Why not John? Mortar sand has a lot of clay in it and this is only a firepit not foundations. I'll ask the place that we have the credit with tho.
    I did think it was mainly decomposed granite mixed with local gravel.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    Not for structural use but as a base and brick footing for our proposed firepit.
    We have a credit with our local landscaper due to the cancellation of a pre-paid skip delivery and we are going to be using roadbase under the brick paving that was supposed to have been done before that last lockdown.
    If I did use roadbase as an aggregate substitute what ratio of GB cement would be needed assuming I hire a mixer that is on the small side.
    So are you asking if you can just mix cement and road base as a footing ?
    I would say not really unless there is fine gained stuff in there as well ?, you really need to add some sand to bulk it out, the sand acts as a binder to help the cement stick to the aggregate, the road base is fine as an aggregate in concrete.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

I did have that info ... somewhere ...
    But what I worked out was it wasn't worth the trouble.

Also

My landscaper supply place, where I get my roadbase, also sells an aggregate mix in the right ratios to which I can just add cement - maybe yours does too?

Road base is a mixture of small coarse aggregate, fine and extra fine aggregate, to achieve better compaction. Concrete can be made with a variety of size aggregate, including limited amount of fine like brick dust. I believe road base can be safely used to make concrete and I suggest 4:1 road base to Portland cement.

Having said that, road base is $60 and sand and gravel mix is $80 Not much of a muchness, unless you already have the tuff.
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

4K Club Member

They do; I was trying to get by with a single delivery but I don't think I can use the bluestone screenings and sand mix as a base for brick paving and the paving is the priority.
    As it is even packing sand is now $85 a cubic metre from where we have the credit, roadbase is only $68-