Hire the best Concreting Expert

White concrete - how?

Novice

Default White concrete - how?

Want to make some polished concrete benches and wanted to have a white looking concrete rather than std grey.
    What do I need to do this?

2K Club Member

Default White concrete

What you require is Brickies Lite Cement and white silica sand. Will give an almost white result.
    I too am doing some concrete benchtops but am challenged to find the polyprop fibres I require...
    Have you had any joy with those? I did find a local-ish supplier but cannot get an answer on the phone, or by email. I gather its a run from home type business
    and I don't want to risk a nearly 200k round trip on a hope.

We are using this edging in a cast in place scenario Concrete Countertops.
    and have bought the lengths in by DHL all good so far apart from the fibres.
    using a crushed glass aggregate between 3-7mm in size.

In the US you can buy the readymixed concrete in bags, usually white, but here in OZ no such luck...

David

Have a read of this thread from a while ago, it has some good info on DIY concrete benches and they look great too!!

<http://www.renovateforum.com/f200/concrete-countertops-91865/>

Don't forget to keep us updated with photos and info during the project, it not only helps other people but gives you a record to look back on as you progress.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    What you require is Brickies Lite Cement and white silica sand. Will give an almost white result.
    I too am doing some concrete benchtops but am challenged to find the polyprop fibres I require...
    Have you had any joy with those? I did find a local-ish supplier but cannot get an answer on the phone, or by email. I gather its a run from home type business
    and I don't want to risk a nearly 200k round trip on a hope.

We are using this edging in a cast in place scenario Concrete Countertops.
    and have bought the lengths in by DHL all good so far apart from the fibres.
    using a crushed glass aggregate between 3-7mm in size.

In the US you can buy the readymixed concrete in bags, usually white, but here in OZ no such luck...

David
    Thanks for the replies guys, haven't looked too hard yet David, have just made a mould for the bench top and needing to find some spare time.
    I agree the guys in the USA have more options, especially being able to buy stuff direct from Cheng etc

will post some pics when I get more done
    Wayne

Apprentice (new member)

Default titanium oxide

I believe titanium oxide will whiten/bleach out ordinary "grey" concrete - better result if you use white portland cement bags or off-white brighton cement.

2K Club Member

Default White Cement

Hi Wayne,
    I have since found out that Boral do a range of coloured benchtop mixes. I have a price of $400.00 for a truckload delivered...
    I spoke to a sales guy and they seem to do a bit of it and are aware of the particular challenges we face.
    I got the heads up from an outdoor kitchen guy locally who uses them all the time...

Apprentice (new member)

Default White Cement.

Most people seem to think that the closest you can get is Off White Cement(OWC), but you can actually get white cement, which makes life so much easier when you are trying to pour a light coloured (in my case) concrete countertop because you have to do less samples to get the colour match you want.

The brand i've seen is Aalborg. Its a white portland cement that's made in Malaysia.

In Melbourne the suppliers is know who stock it are Mitchells Building Supplies in the suburb of Richmond. This hardware is a good bet for materials that are not commonly stocked at most hardware stores. The other stockist is Ability Building Chemicals in Heidelberg West. They stock pigments and oxides for colouring concrete.