Hello.

I share an asphalt driveway with my next door neighbor. It's got some cracks in it, and it is over 20 years old, so it is probably time to rip and replace. We have gotten four estimates for 650 sq ft (includes one walkway from the driveway to the door on my side):

$3000

$4900

$6900

$7250

I've checked the BBB site and Google, Yelp, and Nextdoor reviews on all four vendors. They all basically have mostly good reviews with a few bad ones.

My neighbor feels that the low-bidder at $3000 is a red flag ... feels that he doesn't know what corners that company is cutting. He also feels that he wants to use a vendor that has done work in our development that a neighbor he knows has been happy with. That takes us to the $4900 or the $7250 bid. Each has provided a price to just put a layer of asphalt on top of the existing driveway, but this only reduces the cost by about 15%-25%.

I, OTOH, would prefer to curtail costs right now and I'd be willing to take a chance with the low bidder. My neighbor is standing pretty firm on his preferences.

Does anyone out there have experience with this type of thing? What is your opinion about whether the low-bidder here is offering a price that is too good to be true?

Many thanks.