Hire the best Paver and save up to 40%

Mortar / flexible joints in pool paving

Apprentice (new member)

Question Mortar / flexible joints in pool paving

Hi all,

Looking for some advice please. I am in the process of replacing all the mortar in the paving around my pool (currently grinding out the old mortar - what a job! ) and want to check the best way to do a couple of things.

My pool is fibreglass with granite pavers. For the flexible joints around the coping and between every 4 (or so) tiles Iíve been reading about a number of options. Iím tossing up between Sikaflex Pro and this Mortafil product from Bunnings: https://www.bunnings.com.au/mortafil...ortar_p0962197

Would appreciate peopleís opinions...

A couple more questions too.
    How much depth should I leave above the filler rod - ~12mm? More?
    What is the best way to tool / smooth the joint ?
    Should I Ďdustí the Sikaflex with sand ?

For the other mortar joints Iím planning to use off white cement 1 : 3 parts sand. Was thinking of using this dried sand: https://dingocement.com.au/product/dried-sand-2/

is that ok or or is there a better alternative ?

Anything else I should be taking into consideration?

Thanks in advance
    David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bc40e615-bf5f-4f1d-a76a-cfe1749063f4.jpg   56051d88-4f89-49fb-949a-e87ba7078ab1.jpg   d940e246-ebf6-4d53-8fb6-7c0206977396.jpg  

I am considering doing something similar, and wondering what did you end up using?

Apprentice (new member)

Depending what you have laid these pavers on you could use Paveset or similar. It's a blend of selected sands and gelling agents ideal for joint filling applications (2-4mm).

You can see information on www.freostone.com.au.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for that. My joints are quite a bit wider than 4mm so not sure that would work. I ended up using SikaFlex dusted with white sand but it does seem to get quite dirty. I think I should have applied the sand while it was very wet.

I masked the edges and started off using a spatula dipped in washing up liquid but as I got better at it I found it worked well using wide paddle pop sticks (like from a Magnum) and wiping with paper towel. If I did it again I would do this from the start- mask off, very slightly overfill the joints, smooth with a dry paddle pop stick (or rubber spatula - this worked well too) and sprinkle with sand - both to match better to the mortar and also as protection.

David