Hire the best Paving Experts

pave or concrete driveway??

2K Club Member

Default pave or concrete driveway??

i wont be doing this myself.
    i have around 350sqm of drive way to either pave or concrete, what way to go??
    currently paved with those interlock pavers about 40 years old and getting pretty how ya going looking with cracked pavers, worn out badly and all wavy, but i did some sums and will cost around $17k for pavers alone and around $12k for concrete alone.
    with pavers and concrete you have to prepare the surface a similar way, probably more labour in pavers than concrete??
    what way should i go here you reckon? pros and cons??? will need a pump for concrete as well most likely as concrete truck wont fit under the building to get down the back parts 40m down.

2K Club Member

What about asphalt?
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    What about asphalt?
    never though of that as thought was a lot more expensive?? plus black is a bit too dark i think.

Concrete for me.

Surely, the the surrounding building qualities dictates the appropriate finish for the job, but concrete is easy.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Surely, the the surrounding building qualities dictates the appropriate finish for the job, but concrete is easy.
    yes it does, concrete fits in ok, as do light pavers.
    is concrete cheaper you reckon?
    i just noticed in first post i said pavers were 4 years old, meant 40 years old.

Concrete should be cheaper. If it is a driveway then concrete should be used under the pavers.

7K Club Member

They can easily do 40m without a pump with 3 or 4 on barrows. That happened at my place without issue.

Concrete is my vote

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    They can easily do 40m without a pump with 3 or 4 on barrows. That happened at my place without issue.
    How long ago was that? Nowadays wheel barrows are rarely used they go for a pump.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    How long ago was that? Nowadays wheel barrows are rarely used they go for a pump.
    Couple of years ago. Maybe it depends how many apprentices they can rustle up

Pavers or concrete ... it all depends how well it is done more than what material.
    Pavers to be durable, needs a very well prepared surface under them, preferably concrete, and that makes them pricey.
    Concrete, can be rubbish if the ground is soft or if it is just 100mm, cracking guaranteed.
    150mm concrete with a beam on each side and right size steel, properly tied and off the ground with chairs is not cheap. 100mm with no edge and with the steel thrown on the ground and pulled up at random with a hoe here and there as they pour, surely cheaper.
    Savings by not using a pump depend on the cost of labour. In Sydney a labourer that used to ask $200 a day in January, will not work for less than $400 today.
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

7K Club Member

The use of a pump doesn't necessarily reduce the labour requirement significantly

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    The use of a pump doesn't necessarily reduce the labour requirement significantly
    From what I have seen concreters are usually a two man show and the use of a pump makes the job that much easier with reduced labour, doubt it would be a lot cheaper but if you didn’t want to pay for a pump you would proberbly get less concreters quoting.

Before the widespread use of pumps I had some concreting work done by part time concreters who were firemen and 6 blokes turned up and they barrowed a lot of concrete and after an hour 5 left and one bloke stayed to finish.

Access to labour is the key as it is only for a very short time.

7K Club Member

Well, my job of about 250sqm had the boss, two experienced guys and an apprentice. Plus the bob cat guy during preparation. That's his usual team. The boss said "We'll barrow it, that'll save you heaps". End of. I believe him as we are friends, and remain friends