I have Urbanstone engineered honed smooth pavers as below.

urbanstone-pavers.png

urbanstone-pavers-2.png

Urbanstone tells me when looking up various websites for sealers and they have a category filter to select Concrete.
They are quite dense and have a 40mpa compressed strength, if that at all factors.

Porosity wise, the droplet below took about 10mins to dissipate

urbanstone-pavers-water-droplet.png

My Cromelin moisture meter reports generally 5-15% moisture at different places around the house but even btw adjacent pavers.

My issue is that being smooth they are quite slippery particularly in the wet. However that was known from the start, I mean they are smooth and Urbanstone who have been great to deal with, even have that as a disclaimer on their site.

However in the 4 years approximately since install they are now slippery even in 40degree summer weather. They are all outside.

So what sealer should I use?

Most places all said go with a penetrating sealer, but when I brought up the requirement for Anti Slip, the advice splits. (both sources were friendly and helpful)

Advice A

Add those Anti Slip spheres like here

Slip Resistant Additive: CrommelinBut for this to work you need a sit on top sealer or film forming sealer, like Crommelin Enhance, solvent not water based, that has enough solids in it to hold these spheres onto the top of the surface.

Advice B

By far the best way to maintain a non-slip surface is to use a full penetrating sealer. Such sealers do not leave a physical film on the surface and therefore will not alter the slip levels of the raw material.

Commelin Enhance is still a film forming sealer and will make the surface significantly more slippery than a raw surface. Adding the grit will then go some way to returning it back to a non-slip surface. A paver sealed in this manner will have a texture like fine sandpaper but will still likely be slippery in wet conditions.

My brother in law recently put down honed concrete around his pool and the concreter included a solvent acrylic with grit for a non-slip finish. I told him he should have talked to me first and he said he just assumed the concreter knew what he was doing. Even though they did a coarse hone and put in lots of grit it is still very slippery. Further, even though it is very slippery it feels like sandpaper underfoot so it is not comfortable to walk on. He is now looking at getting them back to grind it all off because his kids have already slipped over several times.

We donít sell anything that creates a thick enough film to hold grit of this nature. Since they are not breathable, they eventually delaminate and peel in outdoor environments.

The natural variation in a raw concrete slab will have far more variation in texture than a film forming seal with grit. If your pavers are now slippery when they didnít used to be, it is very likely that they have a build up of algae, dirt and grime which is compromising the grip levels. Giving the surface a good pressure clean will clean out the pores and almost certainly bring the grip levels back up to what they were. In most instances as pavers wear they get more coarse, rather than more slippery. A sealer like ProtectGuard HD will then protect the pavers and prevent algal growth and the like from fouling the pavers going forward. A regular pressure clean (once every year or two) will help remove any dirt that accumulates with time.

I am leaning towards B, however it comes down to what is less slippery and or lasts

AĖ a fine sandpaper feel under feet?

The other Con to Option A is that the film forming layers will naturally delaminate if they can not breathe, I should note I have drip irrigation within 100mm of the pavers so water constantly goes into the ground near them.

Versus

B -

1 Ė my pavers pressure washed and returned to their natural raw state and whatever that level of slip is (Note its smooth honed so slippery in winter is the default level of slip) - then we attempt to lock in that slip with a penetrating sealer.

I assume a penetrating sealer will last a lot longer than a film forming sealer (I was told only 18months for the film forming sealer, which as you get older, 18 months seems to come around in no time)

Maybe a penetrating sealer like this

https://www.wasealers.com.au/order-p...tect-guard-hd/

Any advice on any of this? Including products or technique etc