Hire the best Rendering Expert

Bagging in WA

Novice

Default Bagging in WA

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick one.

I am going to bag part of my house that is currently raked brickwork in good nick. Have read most of the previous comments on the forum on the "how to" but my question is what sand here in WA to use,

Seems like there are so many types and does it really matter??. The most common brickies sand would seem the go. I was planning to use that for the first coat to fill the rakes but was wondering is it the best for the actual final finishing coat??

6:1 mix? Do I need to use lime?
    Pre wet wall
    Fill rakes first coat then finish coat
    Keep wall wet if really hot weather

thanks for any advise

cheers
    Rugbynut

I'm no expert on this but seeing you have had no replies I'll give you my non expert opinion.
    As I understand it a bagged finish consists of a thin slurry wiped onto the wall (with a bag in the old days), so it really covers very little in the way of wall imperfections.
    This being the case you will need to fill the raked joints flush with the bricks otherwise it won't look very good.
    I think you should add lime to the mix to fill the rakes, otherwise you may have a little trouble making it stay in place. Maybe the lime is not neccessary for the bagging mix.
    Wash the wall to remove dust and dirt, and wet it pretty well before you start, this should improve adhesion.
    Brickies sand should be fine both for filling the raked joints and the bagging mix.
    I have done fair bit of rendering at my daughter's house in Perth (with good results
    ) and I have always used brickies sand and added lime to the mix.

Good Luck
    Regards Bradford

Novice

ok thanks Bradford. Ill give it a shot and see how it looks. Im not too concerned about it looking too smooth. anything is better than the horrible face bricks that are currently there

Owner Builder

Hi Bradford, I don't know about bagging, but I know that brickies sand is definitely NOT recommended for rendering because you are likely to get shrinkage cracks. Have you had any trouble with this? Conventionally it is always washed river sand (or something similar) used in rendering

No trouble with shrinkage or cracks of any description. Some of the rendering I have done has been in place for over 15 years and it looks the same as the day I did it.( That particular job is about 20 sq met.) I think the brickies sand we get in the west might be different to what is used in the Eastern States
    Regards Bradford

6:1 mix? Do I need to use lime?

*submarine dive siren sound*
    Whooop, Whhooop
    You will need to do this in two coats, one to fill the rake joints, the second for top coat

Your bottom or base coat will be 6S:1C:1L , 6 sand, 1 cement, 1 lime. You can even go 5 sand:1:1.
    Buy some creme premixMORTAR from the hardware for the top coat. It all ends up the same colour that way.

Do a trial run around the back of the house to get up to speed and perfect your technique.

Put down drop sheets over where you are working and the path of the wheel barrow.There maybe a DVD on it at the local hardware. Any training is better than nothing.
    https://www.instagram.com/perth_bricklayer_wa

I think the brickies sand we get in the west might be different to what is used in the Eastern States

Yep, it can be quite hungry and varies from north to south of Perth. Some of it is sieved which leaves the loam to blow away in the wind. cheapskates Bagging is quite thin so some loam wont be an issue.

Perth is running out of sharp plasterers sand so much of what comes out now is a blend any rate; probably, with brickies sand.
    https://www.instagram.com/perth_bricklayer_wa