Hire the best Rendering Expert

How difficult are very thin render repairs?...

Default How difficult are very thin render repairs?...

Dear Folks,

Without the hoped-for deluge of recommendations that I was planning to get in response to my previous thread about good Solid Plasterers to do some internal patch-up work on Brisbane's northside , I might have to have a go at doing the darn thing myself...

The Shower Recess render has been removed all the way back down to the brick. Getting some cement back onto this doesn't worry me too much because I will have a good decent thickness to work with.

Rather, what's got me worried are the bits where I haven't gone all the way back down to the brick, because I only used the Grinder instead of the Hammer-Chisel. Such will be the case in quite a few patches throughout the Living Areas of the unit where I have ground out the render by just a couple of millimetres over a width of a foot or so in order to remove some surface imperfections and badly repaired cracks.

I'm really sceptical about being able to successfully trowel such a thin coating of cement render across these parts. The coating will have to taper from just 3 or 4mm deep in the centre of each patch, back to effectively zero around the edges where it obviously has to mate back in with the existing wall surfaces. The walls have a slightly rough (as in sandy) texture in their finish.

From my very limited previous experience with render-repairing, once you mix sand into the cement slurry, the whole "feel" of the mix seems to change from something that was thin and sticky (like grout), to something that becomes more crumbly, and nowhere near as sticky. If you add water to stop the crumbliness, it becomes runny. And if you try not putting sand into it at all in order to keep it sticky, it loses any texture, and can end up sticking to the trowel like Sheep Dip...

I guess the long and the short of it is that I'm trying to use cement in skim-coat thicknesses, but also wanting a sandy texture in the final dried surface. People usually do these sorts of thin repairs with Spakfilla, but I'm not going to get any sandy texture if I go that way (unless I mix in some sand with it...) Can it be done with cement? Or should I try mixing sand into some Spakfilla? Anyone have any tips or warnings? Naysayers welcome . I might drive down there tomorrow morning and take a couple of photos (the traffic is too heavy at the moment; later on when it thins out, it will be far too cold...)

Many Thanks,
    Batpig.

I had the same thing is my place, the walls are render but don't have thin set plaster on them as they were wallpapered. I used a filler I found in bunnies that come in a powder and you mix up, it comes in a yellow plastic bag and has sand in it so you get a very similar texture to the rest of the render, I think it's a made for patching render outside but worked fine for me.

Dear Airman,

Thanks for the tip. I might be dropping into the BigB on my way down to my brother's place on the weekend, so I'll look out for that render-repair powder you mentioned when I'm there. I had a thread going a couple of months back regarding what was the best "Filla" out there, and Nordsjo "Super Filler" seemed to tick the boxes for me amongst the very gracious replies that I got back at the time. Maybe some sand thrown into the Super Filler could also be worth thinking about. I've got some leftover Spakfilla that I could experiment with at any rate...

For what it's worth, here's a photo of one of the patches in question. It's hard to make out much of the texture of the untouched wall around it. The patch in the foreground is about a foot across.

Many Thanks,
    Batpig.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ground-out-patch.jpg  

Maybe one of the acrylic renders that you buy pre-mixed in the bucket will give a good match? that stuff can go as thin as you need and will easily build out 3-4mm. Its like thick paint with sand added too it that you trowel on.

Dont know if you can buy small tubs of it though..

Quote Originally Posted by memphis View Post
    Maybe one of the acrylic renders that you buy pre-mixed in the bucket will give a good match? that stuff can go as thin as you need and will easily build out 3-4mm. Its like thick paint with sand added too it that you trowel on.
    Dear Memphis - that sounds interesting. I wonder what it would be like to sand when dry? Would all the sand want to sand out of it?...

Dear Airman - if you're still tuned in, I wonder if I could trouble you to take a photo of the patch-up you did with that packeted sandy-render that you were talking about, as well as comment on what the stuff was like to sand when dry. Did the sand sand out of it?...

Many Thanks,
    Batpig.

...you cant really sand it.

but it should be able to be troweled to match

http://www.acratex.com.au/