Hire the best Rendering Expert

Laundry Internal Render - To Remove or Not

Apprentice (new member)

Question Laundry Internal Render - To Remove or Not

Hi all

I'm chasing some advice before I undertake the task of 'tidying up' our laundry. Our house is a mid 60s double brick home in Perth, Western Australia. The laundry has been built onto the back verandah (concrete pad). The laundry was home to the oil-powered hot water system which I believe was leaking water and removed a long time ago.

The room has what I think is a cement render, with a very fine sand used. So fine you can rub it off with your fingers in damaged areas. There is damage to the render primarily on the bottoms of the walls, I think due to the leaking hot water system.

My intention is to tile the room but I'm stuck on removing the render or just patching the damaged areas. My number one fear being the render failing even further once it has tiles on top.

If removal is the go, will an SDS drill with chisel attachment do for render this fine? Pictures attached!

Thanks all!

img_6018.jpgimg_6019.jpg

Most likely the render is reasonably sound, tap it and any hollow sound is a worry, solid is fine. You should be ok to patch the lower render and tile. You should try and remove some paint usually scratching the surface so the tile glue has something other than paint to grip to. Try to avoid tiling against naked brick, they are often a bit uneven and any mortar line cracks are likely to also crack your tiles.

Doesn’t matter if the mortar has an odd hollow spot and yes an SDS will easily remove the render, preferably something like an 18v model is ample.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi John

Thanks very much for you reply.

It's good to know that I won't have to strip it all off. I knew I would need to do something about the paint. When you say scratch, do you mean something like a wire brush on a drill? Does all the paint have to come off or just enough to give the tile glue a good bonding surface?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ankr View Post
    Hi John

Thanks very much for you reply.

It's good to know that I won't have to strip it all off. I knew I would need to do something about the paint. When you say scratch, do you mean something like a wire brush on a drill? Does all the paint have to come off or just enough to give the tile glue a good bonding surface?

Cheers
    more a gouge in a cross patten. Think Stanley knife or Jack the Ripper, a quick slash.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    more a gouge in a cross patten. Think Stanley knife or Jack the Ripper, a quick slash.
    Thanks, John!