Hire the best Rendering Expert

Ventilation with rendering a wall

Golden Member

Default Ventilation with rendering a wall

hi guys

we have just removed a wardrobe from the corner of our living room. Basically the living room at one stage was a bedroom, so we've removed those wardrobes and we found this nice mess behind it

Attached is the picture

Basically, behind that lose skirting, is the ventilation that appears to go under the floor. We want to install new skirting, re-render the wall and take the oppourtunity to install ethernet, power and foxtel sockets into the skirting.

My question is, what do we do about the ventilation? Do we cut away the flooring a bit so the vent then goes down into the subfloor and reinstall the skirting over it? It would mean you'd see the skirting board if you were to look through the vent from the outside of the house. Basically you can see outside if you move the skirting board forward

Golden Member

Jeeez, this makes some of my renos look OK.

Maybe I don't understand your post, but I've never seen ventilation behind the skirting board, vents are below the floor and ventilate the sub-floor.

Equally, that bare brick wall looks pretty ordinary, I guess it was plastered once ...... but if it was lime plaster (v soft and fragile), maybe that area has just had a hard life.

So, 3 questions:
    1. How old is this part of the houes (round decades will do)
    2. What do you mean by the ventilation wording?
    3. And is the wall damp?

Cheers

Golden Member

Hi, so yes it must be lime render as it just crumbles in your hand. Its like a fine sand..
    The top of the vent reaches the bottom of the skirting. There is a small amount of room for your hand between the top of the floor and the vent - the vent should by rights be lower.

See diagram for how it is.

The render just comes off so easily... how would I repair that? also the mortar in the bricks looks shady. the wall does not appear to be damp on this side. House is 1890, Victorian Terrace, free standing.

Looks like rising damp, check your ground levels outside and make sure that it is below the damp course (if you have one) check and make sure water can not flow into the wall through the outside vents, have seen a few where people have concreted pathsor built gardens up to the point where rain water just runs into the vents. You shouldn't have to vent your skirting boards etc the problem will 99% sure be with moisture in the brickwork.
    A good edge takes a little sweat!!

Golden Member

Well the vent is basically at ground level! Ill need to dig the path out a bit so the vent is above the ground level it seems!