Hire the best Fencing Expert

Can I have some suggestions please on how I should screen off neighbours.

Apprentice (new member)

Lightbulb Can I have some suggestions please on how I should screen off neighbours.

Hi,
    I would like some suggestions on how I should screen off my elderly nosy neighbours. There used to be a bougainvillea there which they hacked at so I cut the rest down. But now I have no privacy at all.I did try growing 2 goodbye neighbour trees but they died over the hot summer. It would need to be 1.3 metres above the fence and 3.5 metres long. I did think about putting a slimline water tank on a raised stand there.
    Thanks,
    Mel.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p6110456.jpg   p6110457.jpg  

Maybe some fast growing shrubs or vines might be the go. Otherwise a shed or man cave would block the view.

Option 1: Pyrus calleryana "Capital"
    Option 2: one of the columnar peaches or cherries
    Option 3: one of the larger crepe myrtles such as Lagerstroemia fauriei
    Option 4: frequently explore the backyard in a state of undress (this worked for me!)
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

If you want something to cover it quickly, go for a clumping bamboo. There are quite a few varieties that grow quickly and look a little bit more interesting than the common green variety. The black, ghost or blue varieties can look quite nice. They grow quickly and are quite hardy plants, you should be able to find a variety that suits your area, climate and actual positioning quite easily.

There are a few websites that have a good selection of clumping bamboo you can browse through to pick one that's best suited, two examples are BAMBOO WHOLESALE : OUR BAMBOO VARIETIES ARE GREAT BAMBOOS and Bamboo Down Under Catalogues - Bamboo Down Under, but a google search will reveal a lot more.

Otherwise, another hardy, quick growing tree are Photinia's. There are quite a few varieties, but the most common is probably Photinia Robusta. They are easy to grow, hardy and will grow quite quickly. You can shape them into a dense hedge with little effort, and if you totally mess them up they can be cut off at ground level and grown again if you do it properly.

I have Photinia Robusta growing along my back fence and they probably put on about a metre of growth a year, but I am pruning them so they fill out a bit more before they get taller. They basically get ignored, I rarely water them over the hot weather and they are still thriving. There are other varieties of Photinia I like that have smaller leaves and much redder new growth, and there are others that put on up to 2 metres of growth a year also.

They are the two plants I can think of off the top of my head that are nice and quick growing and really hardy. I had a list of others but they have fallen out of my brain at the moment, lol.

Start with a screen on the end of balcony so they get the picture until whatever you plant does its job

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

x2 bamboo. I used weavers bamboo (clumping) blocked out neighbours totally in 2yrs. Looks awesome creates a beautiful green wall

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Floop View Post
    If you want something to cover it quickly, go for a clumping bamboo. There are quite a few varieties that grow quickly and look a little bit more interesting than the common green variety. The black, ghost or blue varieties can look quite nice. They grow quickly and are quite hardy plants, you should be able to find a variety that suits your area, climate and actual positioning quite easily.

There are a few websites that have a good selection of clumping bamboo you can browse through to pick one that's best suited, two examples are BAMBOO WHOLESALE : OUR BAMBOO VARIETIES ARE GREAT BAMBOOS and Bamboo Down Under Catalogues - Bamboo Down Under, but a google search will reveal a lot more.

Otherwise, another hardy, quick growing tree are Photinia's. There are quite a few varieties, but the most common is probably Photinia Robusta. They are easy to grow, hardy and will grow quite quickly. You can shape them into a dense hedge with little effort, and if you totally mess them up they can be cut off at ground level and grown again if you do it properly.

I have Photinia Robusta growing along my back fence and they probably put on about a metre of growth a year, but I am pruning them so they fill out a bit more before they get taller. They basically get ignored, I rarely water them over the hot weather and they are still thriving. There are other varieties of Photinia I like that have smaller leaves and much redder new growth, and there are others that put on up to 2 metres of growth a year also.

They are the two plants I can think of off the top of my head that are nice and quick growing and really hardy. I had a list of others but they have fallen out of my brain at the moment, lol.

What about lilypillies, and I find the smokebush grows quickly if that's any help

Default Can I have some suggestions please on how I should screen off neighbours.

We want for lilli pillis and even though they will get there in the end (height wise) it has been an excruciating wait for them to grow.
    We also have a Neighbour who loves the round up so other plants we have along the boundary haven't faired well.
    I'd go for 'garden art'. Bring it 500mm of the boundary so it's not considered part of the fence line and it can be 3.5m tall. This is the advice I got from a council ranger.
    Australian Timber Flooring Association Contractor of the Year 2012/13

Quote Originally Posted by shanetorque View Post
    We want for lilli pillis and even though they will get there in the end (height wise) it has been an excruciating wait for them to grow.
    We also have a Neighbour who loves the round up so other plants we have along the boundary haven't faired well.
    I'd go for 'garden art'. Bring it 500mm of the boundary so it's not considered part of the fence line and it can be 3.5m tall. This is the advice I got from a council ranger.
    Lilly pilly's like sun to grow, mine have been taking years as they are sth facing and behind a C/bond fence. Careful of building on the boundary, councils can get narky especially if neighbor complains. Best to build 900mm from boundary to be safe and use a sloped screen (45 deg, cant see through) , green shed have some aluminum/powder coated ready to install ones.
    cheers Look out if I have a tape measure in my hand.....I'm upto something

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for the suggestions.
    The Goodbye Neighbour trees that I tried are lily pillies and they died over summer. Was thinking of maybe bamboo. Would the bamboo roots create a problem for the fence?
    I got a quote for 2 privacy blinds for the verandah and that was $960. And I have to move a down pipe for that.

3K Club Member

If you go for bamboo, you could put them in a planter box so the roots are contained.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Melza View Post
    Hi,
    I would like some suggestions on how I should screen off my elderly nosy neighbours.
    Why?
    They are the best security system you could have as now the bad guys are doing their deeds in daylight when they think no one is home. Get to know them and just put up with their peeping from behind the curtains.