Hire the best Fencing Expert

Dividing Fence needs replacing, Need advise with problems with neighbour

Default Dividing Fence needs replacing, Need advise with problems with neighbour

Hi all

We have a hardwood fence at the back or our property. It is in a poor condition and out neighbour want to get it replaced.
    We agreed.
    We also agreed to have the new fence raised from 1.5m to 1.8m.

However, he wants colorbond instead of hardwood AND he wants it in a creme colour.

We would really like to have wood as we like the rural look and all out other fences are also wood / timber.
    It is also our backyard's main viewing direction and behind my neighbour's kitchen / garage (not his main garden).

We have since compromised to have colourbond but we cannot have it bright creme. It would ruin our whole yard. We suggessted dark green.

So, now we got a letter in that he definetly insists on creme and colorbond and that basically none of this is negotiable.
    If we do not like it, he mentioned that he will construct a new (2nd) higher fence behind the old one.

Local council told me they have nothing to do with fences up to 1.8m...

My question is, has anyone here dealt with these issues and how can they best be resolved?

Best regards
    berntd

I think you can get colorbond in two different colours (one on each side) although I suspect it would cost extra. You can have my light green colorbond fence in exchange for the cream....the green gives off lots of heat in summer and it's not a dark colour, but I would prefer the cream anyway. I have thought about painting it but with three sides to do.....

Isn't there a Dividing Fences Act. As for cost I believe your share would be half the cost of a 1.5m (not 1.8) paling fence. The rest may need arbitration.

I think you might be right....the replacement should be 'like for like'

Senior Stinkologist Sir Stinkalot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Isn't there a Dividing Fences Act. As for cost I believe your share would be half the cost of a 1.5m (not 1.8) paling fence. The rest may need arbitration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renopa View Post
    I think you might be right....the replacement should be 'like for like'
    The OP has agreed to compromise and replace with Colorbond and as such would need to pay half of the cost of Colorbond. The alternative would have been to hold out on the compromise and only accept to pay for half the cost of timber (like for like) with the neighbour paying the additional to get Colorbond if they wanted (after approval from OP).

Quote Originally Posted by berntd View Post
    We also agreed to have the new fence raised from 1.5m to 1.8m.

We would really like to have wood as we like the rural look and all out other fences are also wood / timber.

So, now we got a letter in that he definetly insists on creme and colorbond and that basically none of this is negotiable.
    If we do not like it, he mentioned that he will construct a new (2nd) higher fence behind the old one.

Local council told me they have nothing to do with fences up to 1.8m...
    Perhaps let your neighbour run with the idea of a new Colorbond fence behind the old one. Based on your comment about Council it can only be 1.8m high so if he wants to go higher then it will need approval and you can object (building to close to boundary - too high etc). If he decides to put in 1.8m just inside the line of the old fence on his side, you can retain the "rural look" of the old fence whilst having the benefit of the new solid Colorbond fence behind (which you didn't have to pay for). A little bit of lattice on top of the old fence to bring it up from 1.5m to 1.8m will be all you need to do. After a few years when the old fence has completely fallen down you will also get the benefit of an additional 200mm or so backyard space up to the new Colorbond fence (although perhaps not officially on your title!).

Cheers

Stinky.
    Licence to drill!

Default Dividing Fence needs replacing, Need advise with problems with neighbour

We like our 1.8m creme colorbond fence, in the end it doesn't really matter, not worth losing a neighbour over. On our last boundary the neighbour wants timber, it doesn't 't worry me much. Put up a timber lattice screen , grow a hedge or vine on the fence. If it really matters ask to pay 40% in return for him to choose the colour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Explain to the neighbour, that you are only required to pay half for a 1.5m timber fence, this is what the law states.

If he wants 1.8m colorbond, then he can pay the extra for this, you don't have to pay any extra over and above half of a timber 1.5m, simple as that,
    Then you can spend the extra money you would have spent for the 1.8m colorbond, and hire an airless sprayer, and reapray your side to whatever colour you want.

I personally hate colorbond fences, they reflect massive heat in the summer and are unbearable to be near, they always remind me of all the new cheap housing estates.
    I have always gone for Timber on my places, and had no problems with any of the neighbors agreeing to 1.8m TImber, Timber always look better IMO, and does not reflect heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Stinkalot View Post
    The OP has agreed to compromise and replace with Colorbond and as such would need to pay half of the cost of Colorbond.

Cheers

Stinky.
    That agreement went out the window when the colour choice changed.

I have heard that fences are the main problems with neighbours, we have just been through something similar, one wanting wood the other colourbond, however all parties are happy with the one colour so we have gone down the metal path.

I suspect the other party hasn't got any interest in compromise so if it as me I'd let him build a fence his side, juvenile as it may be, at the height he wants does it need a permit? I also don't like steel similar to Metrix.

Have to agree, steel fences bug me as well, feel more like a pen than a yard....unfriendly feel!

Senior Stinkologist Sir Stinkalot's Avatar

I cant seem to find anything on it at the moment but I am sure there is a fencing product that allows two different colours on both sides. Not sure how to best approach the posts and the capping but I am sure I have seen it advertised somewhere.
    Licence to drill!

Hi all and thanks for the kind reply.

Looks like we will meet the neibours on Sunday to discuss further...

Colorbond with different colours each side would be a great solution for this. I have not been able to find anything like that though.

If you still find some product like that, please let me know.

I think having 2 fences next to each other is a recipe for disaster as the gap will fill up with tree leaves and rubbish very quickly and then rot out both fences.

BTW: Hardwood timer is quite a bit more expensive than colorbond. In fact, colorbond is the chepest of all types we have looked at.

Regards
    berntd

Quote Originally Posted by berntd View Post
    Hi all and thanks for the kind reply.

I think having 2 fences next to each other is a recipe for disaster as the gap will fill up with tree leaves and rubbish very quickly and then rot out both fences.

BTW: Hardwood timer is quite a bit more expensive than colorbond. In fact, colorbond is the chepest of all types we have looked at.

Regards
    berntd
    Yes, the gap is a nonsense solution.
    Why wouldn't you be considering treated pine instead of hardwood!

I know it defeats the purpose of colourbond, but you could always paint it. another suggestion would be to get it done in galvanised steel and both of you can paint it in whatever colour makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Yes, the gap is a nonsense solution.
    Why wouldn't you be considering treated pine instead of hardwood!
    Have considered overlapping pine but looking aroudn the neighbourhood, they look pretty bad and warped after just a few years.
    My neighbour doesn't want it anyway...

Will look into galvanised steel today.

Have also heard that colorbond can be doublesheeted?
    Bluescope says no but others said it can.

B