Hire the best Fencing Expert

Hide corrugated garage door with timber battens

Novice

Default Hide corrugated garage door with timber battens

Hi all. Yes: once again, I am starting from scratch and cannot find all the info I need when searching the www ... and I know you guys will help me (?!).

We currently have an ugly, swing, corrugated iron garage door that faces north/west so gets a lot of sun, and I want to hide it with timber battens.

I need to know what timber to use (Karri? Merbau?), what would be a good width (to do vertically) batten, what gap is required between each one .... and I am sure there are a million things I haven't thought about!

Any help would be appreciated, even if just links to a good fact sheet or something that will help me!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Mouse View Post

We currently have an ugly, swing, corrugated iron garage door that faces north/west so gets a lot of sun, and I want to hide it with timber battens.

I need to know what timber to use (Karri? Merbau?), what would be a good width (to do vertically) batten, what gap is required between each one .... and I am sure there are a million things I haven't thought about!
    hi. i am by no means an expert or even a good amateur however this isnt too difficult for a garden variety DIY'er.

as youre in brisbane, im going to guess that youre in a raised home on stumps? is the garage door mounted to the stumps? this will determine how much work is needed and will be much easier if its just two stumps on either side of the driveway.

first up- would you consider removing the garage door? the finished job will look much cleaner without the battens in front of the corro door but i dont know maybe you want to leave it to stop rain coming in or something. just a thought (im doing the exact same job at my place except im filling in my driveway as well).

anyway. the materials needed are fairly simple.

depending on the width (im assuming about 3m if its a driveway) you'll need 2 hardwood 75 x 35mm or similar "posts". these will mount on the stumps facing each other across the driveway at the desired height / batten area. 3 dyna bolts in each one fastened into the stumps will keep them sturdy and secure (on at the bottom, middle, top). the two posts provide the surface to mount the ends of each batten onto. leave a gap of an inch or so between the bottom of the post and the ground/concrete/dirt etc to prevent rot and termite access. you should do the same at the top too.

battens- im using 90mm by 19mm merbau battens. theyre not that cheap but i wouldnt say theyre expensive either, particularly for the amount you need. i would guess about $300 for the lot. merbau or mixed hardwood is best as theyll last heaps longer in direct sun without warping. if painted theyll be even better.

to work out how many battens you need, measure the height you are going to cover with battens from very bottom batten to very top batten. say you get 90mm wide battens and you want to cover a height of 1m. you need to work out the gap you want between each one. the easiest way is to use an off cut of a batten (19mm depth) and use that to space each batten out. but lets say you want 10mm gap between each one, the method is simple - just add 10mm to your batten width (90mm) = 100mm. then take that number and divide your overall height by it. so 1000mm / 100 = 10 battens. does that make sense?

next, measure length of batten required from outside of post to other post. cut your battens to this length.

now the fun part. fastening the battens! personally i used pistol grip clamps, one on each side to hold the battens up. i also pinned them with a nail gun to hold them steady in place while i pre-drilled and fastened. not essential but makes the job easier. so, starting at the bottom, clamp one side into place at the bottom of the post and then clamp the other side. it wont be spot on as they will move a bit and you need to wiggle the batten a bit to get it into the exact spot you want. its a good idea to put a level on top of each batten to make sure theyre straight too. once first batten is in place, pre-drill to appropriate size for your screws.two screws at each side will plenty. i used those stainless steel hex bit screws at 50mm. they are quite easy to snap so dont over tighten.

working from bottom up, fasten each batten with the desired gap between. again, using the same depth as the batten (19mm in my case) is super easy as you just cut two offcuts and place them on top of the last batten, one at each side, and sit the new batten on top of them, clamp it, drill it, screw it, next batten. keep repeating til you are done! no need to mark out the positions of the battens on the posts. you could do this with any gap size as long as you have two offcuts that are the same size.

depending on the distance between the two stumps (around 3m?) you will need to put a post/batten, vertical, in the middle to stop the battens from warping (even hardwood will warp if the distance between posts is much more than a metre or so). in fact you might even need to put two posts/battens in between if its 3 metres. just divide the total width between the outside posts by 4 and then cut your hardwood post(s) or batten down to the same height as the height from top of the top batten to bottom of the bottom batten and clamp vertically on the back of the battens at the required distance (around 1m apart). pre drill and fasten from outside the same way you fastened the battens and this will give the extra support needed to prevent movement.

whew... sorry that turned into an essay. im sure ive missed a few things and others like bloss and co will be able to come in and point out what ive missed but at least this will kick it off. be sure to ask others for advice too... as i said i am not an expert!!

good luck

dbz

4K Club Member

Nice reply DBZ
    I'd have said to use pre made treated pine lattice with shade cloth behind it, you said it better

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    Nice reply DBZ
    I'd have said to use pre made treated pine lattice with shade cloth behind it, you said it better
    thanks alot moon! not sure how technically sound my post is but its my first where ive offered help to others instead of bombarding the usual suspects (yourself included) for advice. hope to share more as i learn more!

cheers