Hire the best Fencing Expert

Neighbour doesn't want pine fencing. Options?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Neighbour doesn't want pine fencing. Options?

Hey guys,

Tried searching for this, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
    The situation is, we currently have chain link fence all around our property (stupid QLD) and we want to change it to a 6ft pine fence for security/privacy. All but one of our neighbours have agreed on the fencing materials and to pay half. The troublesome neighbour has agreed to pay half but doesn't want timber, or any other material that will block their "view" (which is of our backyard and house). They believe that the pine fence looks "hideous" and that the chain link looks "great". I will be doing all of the labour and also told them that they could have the "good" side of the fence, which ever side they decided it was. And was met with "that's a given, cause our house is ugly enough as it is. But we still don't want a fence that will block our view". They then asked that I move the gates that I had just built (6ft pine) in MY property to separate the back and front yard. You could imagine my response. The reason we want 6ft pine is to stop the dogs from barking at people walking past, gardening, or what ever. We had a complaint from another neighbour and also this neighbour about the barking and we're trying to rectify it but can't if we keep the fence chain link.
    My question is, how do we get them to agree? If we can't, can I just get them to pay half for replacement of the rusted chain link and I cover the rest of the cost of the pine fence 'upgrade'. Need some help before I lose my cool.

Cheers,

Roundhogg

ps sorry for the long post.

I'd just forget about them. The stress is not worth the coupla' hundred in materials you'd get.

Build your pine fence ever so slightly back from the chainlink so it's on your property. Make sure they get the 'ugly' side of the fence; bonus points if you score secondhand, removed due to graffiti or other nasty stains fence palings (to save costs, obviously!!).

You could even leave the fence a little shy of the ground (because you don't want it rotting at the bottom, of course) and use the gap to sweep the doggie-doos into the area between your fence and the real fence...
    DIY electrical house wiring details suitable for Australia - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

I like randoms response although it is probably not going to do anything for neighbour relations. It could be worth spending a few dollars to have a chat with your local solicitor, not to take action but just find out what your rights are in terms of the type of fence. If you can use colourbond or hardwood or even the apparently not liked treated pine. Local regulations determine what can be put up and i once had a neighbour who had grown up without fences (back home in Idaho) and didn't want a fence between us as a result. That was resolved easy enough without resorting to outside parties it was simply a chat, bit of time to think and he got to choose the view blocker of his choice and everyone was happy. Hopefully you can think of a different approach and try again although I don't think you will get anywhere.

maybe grow a nice creeper/vine over the chain link fence?

Community Moderator

As you are in Queensland do Google on Dividing Fence Laws Queensland and you will get plenty of hits and your question will be answered.

I personally think solid fences are hideous. I have a picket fence 1.8M high but there are gaps between the palings of the edge of the paling and it makes for a good fence allowing breeze to flow through. But this type of fence will not satisfy your needs just my opinion.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks guys.
    I also like randoms reply, but like you said, will sour the relationship even further. If they force my hand, then that's what I'll do.
    The problem is that anything other then a glass or less then waist high fence won't be ok to the neighbours. I'd be happy to pay for the fence myself if they'd just give the go ahead. Just don't understand their fascination with looking into my house and yard.
    Our house is a high set queenslander, so I feel that anything other than a timber fence won't fit in (ie colorbond). I can't see how else to stop our dogs from barking at them through a see through fence.....

Cheers,

Roundhogg

3K Club Member

Perhaps a dog whisperer. Or even better, a neighbour whisperer.

Maybe offer him some sort of pay off/deal. Can you think of anything that you can do for him that might seal the deal? Ask him if there's anything he needs.

1K Club Member

Sometimes it takes a while to get to the real reason for the objection. Neighbour may be a bit short of cash at the moment but too embarrassed to admit it. Or he may feel that its unfair that he has to help pay to solve a problem that is entirely yours, that your dogs bark at everything. Some people feel a bit claustrophobic with high fences on both sides of a narrow block. Personally I hate using driveways that have high fences right beside them. Your view of what is coming along the footpath is obscured and you have to inch out slowly so as not to wipe out a few joggers, kids on pushbikes, mums with prams etc because they've got headphones on, are on the phone or just not looking.

I think its worth a little bit of effort to try and preserve good relations with the neighbours, sometimes they have good tools you can borrow. If the fence doesn't solve the barking problem you will be back where you started. If there's another way to sort that problem out? Neighbours may become a lot more agreeable once that issue is resolved. Good luck with it.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
    If the fence doesn't solve the barking problem you will be back where you started.
    That's a valid point. I've heard dogs that bark regardless of the fact that they can't see what they're barking at. Maybe dog whisperer, meant primarily as a joke, is not so funny. I have heard of methods to train dogs not to bark in these situations. Might be worth a go.

Chain link fences are easily the best type of fence with most in Brisbane at least 60 years old and still fully serviceable. They let the light and breeze flow through and are impossible for crims to hide behind. They are brilliant if you have good neighbours and promote a sense of community. The problem is they offer no privacy - a problem that has come to fruition with block splitting and over development and bigger obese houses built close to the boundaries. In days gone by this was never a problem as people all got along. These days however........ Anyway, the answer is quite simple. Build whatever you like 150 mm inside the boundary, ask nothing of your problem neighbour. Jobs a goodun. Concrete stirrups in the ground instead of the timber so you can replace it all easily in 10 years time.

2K Club Member

How bad is your dog ? honestly. May be your neighbour is just p..... of over it. I have a neighbour

with a barking dog which is left home alone all day bored out of its brain and barks constantly.

Lots of complaints from all neighbours and nothing done about it. They would get no favours from me.

Any way as Ringtail said if you build on you property it doesn't matter what the neighbour says

You might have to get a survey done.

Apprentice (new member)

A lot of good replies, so thanks.
    Apparently the dogs only bark when we're not home. Considering I work 4 on 4 off (2 days, 2 nights) I'm home during the day 6 days out of 8 (the dogs get locked up under the house at night, or sleep inside if we're home). My missus is also a shift worker, so chances are one of us is home at any given time. Not to mention I also get 10 weeks leave a year, so I'm home quite often, so you could make up your own mind at how bad the dogs could possibly be. My other immediate neighbours have said the dogs are great. The bloke behind even feeds them.
    Money is not an issue for the neighbours, they just want a see through fence to enjoy my yard and house. 6 months ago they agreed that when the time come they would pay half for a new timber fence if they got the 'good side', now they have changed they're mind.
    I want the fence for privacy, security, to keep the dogs in the yard and to hopefully stop them barking when we're not home. The fence is ratty at best now. Like I said, I'd be happy to pay for the lot if they said yes. We also have 6.5m nature strips with no footpath. I told them I would taper the fence to the front anyway....
    I've done some research over night and it seems my options are -
    1) issue a notice to fence, if they agree, all good
    2) if they don't agree, mediation, then off to Qcat and let them decide for us.
    3) build a fence on my side, which would leave them with what they call the 'bad side' to look at.
    4) plant clumping bamboo up that fence line and let the fence rust to the ground (not the best option with dogs)
    At the end of the day I'm going to end up with a solution that blocks them out from my yard, so I can't see them being too happy with any of them.

cheers

Roundhogg

The gal fence will still be there in another 20 years, it won't rust to away to nothing too quickly. If you are prepared to sacrifice 200 mm of your own land just build whatever you want without consulting anyone. You say you are prepared to pay for it all anyway so everyone's a winner, except your odd pervy neighbour.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Roundhogg View Post
    Apparently the dogs only bark when we're not home.
    That is very common and I don't know what you can do about it. Our old dog used to howl and we never ever heard his doing it but our neighbors told us he did and I believed then as they were good neighbors but almost all the time we were home.
    I ended up taking him for walk almost every day and he quietened down so maybe as I suspect the dogs are bored and the fence may not fix anything.

Any legal eagle out there on "boundary" fences. I used to be in the fencing game years ago and this similar problem cropped up several times which I always let the neighbours sort out themselves.
    I do remember a nasty dispute where the ruling came down that a boundary fence is still a boundary fence even if it's not built exactly on the boundary.
    Urban myth or true????

Apprentice (new member)

Yeah, not disputing that the dogs bark when we're not there, cause the crappers are very protective of the yard. As for the current fence, the gal posts and rails are fine but the wire mesh and tie wire are extremely rusted. It's not only starting to come apart, but also looks hideous - unless you're a fan of 'rustic'.
    Will speak to my certifier tomorrow and see what she says.....

7K Club Member

Iíve been trying to think of something useful to say

All I've come with is 'So glad I don't live where you live' (ie Qld with transparent fences)
    And 'Burn their house down'.

I'll keep trying

Quote Originally Posted by lazydays View Post
    Any legal eagle out there on "boundary" fences. I used to be in the fencing game years ago and this similar problem cropped up several times which I always let the neighbours sort out themselves.
    I do remember a nasty dispute where the ruling came down that a boundary fence is still a boundary fence even if it's not built exactly on the boundary.
    Urban myth or true????
    No not true. One is perfect entitled to build a fence inside ones boundary as long as the real boundary fence stays where it is. My neighbour has done exactly this with zero consultation. To be spot on both parties should fork out 1 grand for a survey to establish the exact boundaries before building or re building any fence.

7K Club Member

This seems helpful (although 8 years old) http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/SiteCollec...nd%20Trees.pdf

I just can get over the fact your neighbour hates your dogs barking but won't help do something about it. That they want a view of your property gives me the creeps.

Apprentice (new member)

Ha ha, it's as if there's some sort of imaginary coast line in my yard and they get these awesome water views from their dining room window. Having come from NSW, where high colorbond was the norm, I just can't get my head around this fascination of looking into other people's yards/houses. How is looking into someone's house/yard a 'view' or 'feature'?

Some people obviously have more boring lives (and backyards) than other people.

Have you ever thought of starting a collection of rusting car bodies and old, shredded tarpaulins in your backyard??? Now might be the time to start! I've got a collection of 'must get a skip for this' items you can make a start with, if you would like to collect it...

Or see if you can convince the local septuagenarian nudist society to start doing nude callisthenics in your yard several times a week!
    DIY electrical house wiring details suitable for Australia - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

Your neighbour sounds creepy. If you don't have any luck after mediation, perhaps bring up the "I saw them looking into our yard with binoculars" defence. Or mention casually to council that you have young children visiting from time to time and you don't want them being perved on, or something along those lines.

We have a creepy psycho neighbour on one side who wasn't happy about the new fence, but they knew that they had no choice and we advised them that the fence was going in no matter what, due us having a dog and kids, and council would be involved if they kept being a pain in the backside. But then again, this is the same neighbour who filed a police report stating that we had burgled her house too!!!

I just get the shakes when someone says that their neighbour enjoys the view of their yard. It's just so wrong!!! Sure, in a perfect society, we'd never have fences, but your yard is your own private retreat; your oasis if you will.

7K Club Member

I know someone who erected a 6 foot high fluro "middle finger salute" in his back yard facing his neighbours after they built a high deck and they wouldn't install a privacy screen along one side

2K Club Member

Default "I know someone"

sounds a lot like "I have a friend" to me...

FWIW is there a chance the neighbour enjoys your early morning walk to the kitchen in the altogether?
    I can think of no other reason why anyone would be so keen on being able to view into your property, apart from the view!

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    sounds a lot like "I have a friend" to me...
    If it was me I would have started with "I once..."

Default Neighbour doesn't want pine fencing. Options?

I would go and find the best looking, most expensive fence/panels that are available and present that as the only other option you'd accept. If they choose not to accept the paling fence, but agree to the dearer option, you will only need to pay for half of the paling fence value, and they will need to pay the rest.
    Put it on paper clearly stating you will only pay 50% of the value of the paling fence either way. It's funny how things get sorted when issues get written down.
    Australian Timber Flooring Association Contractor of the Year 2012/13