Hire the best Fencing Expert

Sufficient dividing fence...

Apprentice (new member)

Default Sufficient dividing fence...

Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this before...

We have just moved into our first home and want to replace our side and rear fence. The side is made of chicken wire and star pickets so that's a given that it's not "sufficient".

However, the rear is a wire mesh fence like this:

Link deleted, please only use this site's image uploader.

It's structurally sound but is only ~1m tall and provides no privacy. They also have a very large American bulldog that if it decided to I'm sure could jump the fence, as a result our dog is staying elsewhere untill we get the new fence.

Just wanted to see what your thoughts are as to if the council would deem this as a sufficient fence in terms of getting the neighbour to contribute to a new colorbond fence?

1K Club Member

I've seen a 60kg staffy go through a colorbond fence, so that's no guarantee of safety for your dog.

From my experience, the "standard" they tend to use is either a 1500mm (5 foot) or 1800mm (6 foot) high single paling fence (2 rails). Whatever that costs, your neighbour is obliged to pay half of. If you want something more costly than that, it's up to you to pay the difference.

When I had to get a fence done the guy who quoted told me colorbond is pretty much just as cheap these days, and he doesn't have many issues with getting 50/50 from neighbours for it - when they are in agreeance that the fence needs replacing.

Best off checking out your local council's web resources to see what they have to say, as the fencing standards can (and do) vary from council to council, and also within different estates & zones within the same council area.

NSW is 1.8 side and rear, and 1.5 at the front unless you can supply a reason to have a higher fence at the front. There is no chance that a see through wire fence at one meter can be deemed sufficient.
    As for colorbond and security from either animals or human animals, you can make them harder to kick in by riveting the panels together. A couple of 6mm steel rivets 1/3 each side and against the post will make the panel safer. Get yourself a good sturdy pop riveter, or better a pneumatic one, not those cheap thingies that give you cramps after the third rivet.
    It will not the Maginot line, but better than nothing. The dog will not be able to knock it in.
    Easy DIY project but probably better to get a professional to get the money off the neighbour. When I have done fences myself I had a hard time to get back just the materials from neighbours.
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    It will not the Maginot line,
    Good thing, otherwise the dogs will just go around it
    Visiting part of the Maginot line was a highlight of my trip to the Alsace area a couple of decades back.

Time to go again. I am planning a trip to Sweden for their yearly Albin 25 club reunion.
    Confucius

I wouldn't consider the wire fence ok. but the current neighbors might, and that's normally where the problems start is that they can't afford or don't want a new fence.

sometimes if you know what you r doing you can just go halves in the costs and just put the thing up your self that way its cheaper for everyone.
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

Default Sufficient dividing fence...

Have you spoken to the neighbor? In Victoria there is a straightforward process for fencing backed up by law (although that doesn't always make it easy). Regardless, talking to the neighbor first would be a good idea.

This may help. or not.
    http://www.swslc.org.au/wp-content/u...heet-final.pdf
    Frequently asked questions

Or ... just come out in your backyard naked (providing you are male), urinate against a tree, do your morning exercise in the nude and similar activities.
    Confucius