Hire the best Fencing Expert

treated pine vs hardwood

Talking treated pine vs hardwood

hello all,

time to replace fences each side of boundary. im in sydney the boundaries are approx 70m long and gently slopes down hill

as we have a lot to do we want to keep costs to minimum. single paling type butted up against each other

existing fence is hardwood and has rotted and also been taken out by falling branches and trees. this issue is being addressed now before we build new fence

would like everyones fors and againsts:

treated pine
    treated pine with gal posts
    hardwood
    lap and cap

your thoughts and advice much appreciated

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

hardwood for me. Anything pine just looks crap IMO.

Novice

Anything in the ground at my place is gal steel - otherwise it either rots or the white ants gets it. I agree that hardwood looks better and is hardier and more resistant to damage especially if the fence is between you and a road or you and neighbours with kids.

TP looks good for 12 mths then it twists bends. I have had no issues with colorbond that has lasted on a sloping block if your area permits. Otherwise I would go hardwood and gal posts.

thanks for the reponses. most suggest hardwood is prefferred and hardwood with gal posts is even better

might get a few options priced up and take it from there. any more suggestions welcome

(colorbond is out my wife hates it - needs to be timber )

2K Club Member

I recently demolished a post and rail fence in a rural area which was built 25 years ago. Posts were 150mm square

some hardwood some treated pine. The hard wood was completely shot ( rot and termites ) the treated pine

had barely a mark on them.

Quote Originally Posted by goldie1 View Post
    I recently demolished a post and rail fence in a rural area which was built 25 years ago. Posts were 150mm square

some hardwood some treated pine. The hard wood was completely shot ( rot and termites ) the treated pine

had barely a mark on them.
    Other way round for us QLDers

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by stevoh741 View Post
    Other way round for us QLDers
    That would depend on which part of Qld. Brisbane is just up the road from me. If your in the tropics I take

your point.

yeah ive been asking few people about these materials and most i speak to talk up treated pine saying chemicals are better resistance, value for money etc

im leaning to treated pine on this basis thanks for the replies

I'm on sunny coast and last time I used H4 treated pine sleepers on ground (not in) they were rotted out in under two yrs. funny enough the treated hardwood posts they were attached to we're as good as the day they went in. TP not worth a lick of chit IMO

Treated pine in-ground here (Canberra) looks good even when 30+ years old. Local hardwood (yellowbox or similar) in ground starts to rot out in under 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Username View Post
    Treated pine in-ground here (Canberra) looks good even when 30+ years old. Local hardwood (yellowbox or similar) in ground starts to rot out in under 5 years.
    Like I said earlier stuff we get in qld is rubbish. I wouldn't use it to wipe my ass (aside from the splinter thing)

anyone from sydney got any input? from the replies so far treated pine is no good in warmer climates however replies suggest tp is superior in cooler climates eg canberra

Have a read of the PDF you can find here: http://www.renovateforum.com/f196/ti...76/#post876556

1K Club Member

Back in the olden days when I lived in Sydney (wet Turramurra), the place next door was demolished and rebuilt. Part of the deal was new fencing (at no cost to me). They used treated pine with three rails. After 12 months of sun and rain it had twisted, split, and looked cr@p. Maybe they used the cheapest material available but it looked ordinary even though it probably last and lasts, The best solution on a short section of fence was gal steel posts and colourbond.

Try to convince the Minister for Appearances that nobody notices fences, especially once you have planted something in front of them. Hardwood is great if you have a fireplace since you have an endless supply of wood when you replace it every 15 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkyt View Post
    Hardwood is great if you have a fireplace since you have an endless supply of wood when you replace it every 15 years or so.
    I wouldn't recommend burning it especially if it was CCA treated