Hire the best Fencing Expert

What's a good product to seal timber fence

abc
    Apprentice (new member)

Default What's a good product to seal timber fence

I just built a timber fence at my house, 65x65x3 gal steel posts, 100x38 some H3 some H4 hardwood rails, H3 treated pine pailings. I already put a 50/50 linseed oil and mineral turpentine on the rails, I was only doing the cuts/notches at first and got a bit carried away

I like the timber look, but I'm willing to paint it if the maintenance is a lot easier, not sure how that will go with the already oiled rails though. What does everyone use these days to seal the fence for long life? I was thinking to use the linseed oil/turps on the whole thing but not sure how long it will last I don't want to be painting the thing every 12 months.
    I already have an air gravity feed spray gun so prefer something I can use that with

2K Club Member

I see the UK uses, or at least used to, creosote in a garden sprayer...for their farm woodwork and fencing..maybe linseed and turps in one would be fast and easy? One thing though, using this for a while darkens the timber markedly..
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

abc
    Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    I see the UK uses, or at least used to, creosote in a garden sprayer...for their farm woodwork and fencing..maybe linseed and turps in one would be fast and easy? One thing though, using this for a while darkens the timber markedly..
    Here in Australia creosote is restricted to agricultural/farm type use I think. I'm sure I could get some but I'm not interested in using something like that really.

I thought about linseed and turps on the whole thing (already done the rails with 1 coat), but not sure how long it will last.

I read in a couple of places linseed has some drawbacks and there are more modern and better performing products available now.

Prolonged skin exposure to soot and coal tar creosote has been associated with cancer of the scrotum in chimney sweeps.
    https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=64&tid=18

2K Club Member

Whoops should have mentioned that Creosote IS banned here in Aus. I was more pointing to the use of a garden sprayer as applicator...
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

May be buy the alternative creocote, probably made with eco friendly cocoa
    Everbuild Creocote Wood Preservative Treatment AND Creosote Replacement Light BR | eBay
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

Golden Member

Is your linseed oil boiled or raw? One coat of 50% strength linseed oil of any kind isn't going to do you much harm or good. Linseed oil penetrates through the surface of the wood and provide very mild water resistant properties but is just about zero with just one coat. The good news is you can paint over it with any oil based paint/varnish/decking oil etc. If it is boiled linseed oil, then it would have dried, you could even paint over it water based stuff.