Hire the best Landscaper

Need Some Advice for collapsed dry stack retaining wall

Apprentice (new member)

Default Need Some Advice for collapsed dry stack retaining wall

Hi All

Any assistance would be greatly appreaciated. After all this rain, large section of the dry stack retying wall has collpased. This was probably build 40 years ago, and at the highest point stacks over 2.5m
    Attached a picture - yellow line shows property boundary, Orange is a storm water easement.

Front left of the picture is on the property but has no wall built.. Looking for some options.

Option 1: Just stack up the rocks when it dries out, repairing existing wall.
    But looking at how the lower end of the wall is bulging outwards, I don't know how long that will last.

Option2: Build a 1m raining wall down the side of the easement, this would be slightly lower than existing wall further up the picture.
    At the lower end, step another 1m up so they are considered separate wall? I might loose some ground higher up, but gain unusable land lower down the wall.

Any advise or other options would be appreciated.

Budget is quite limited and will do most of the work myself.

topview1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails retainw1.jpg  

Jonathon, your image attachment seems to be missing, likely if the file size is more than 1mb. Try reducing reducing image file size.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Jonathon, your image attachment seems to be missing, likely if the file size is more than 1mb. Try reducing reducing image file size.
    Thanks .. Updated

Building the wall in two steps would be easier if you are working alone.
    Hard to tell from that photo, but it seems you need to top up the amount of rocks.
    If you need more rocks try sandstone boulders from Gosford Quarries

https://gosfordquarries.com.au/solid-block-walling-1
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Global-Warming-Climate-Change-Hoax-ebook/dp/B00JPU8332

Novice

May I suggest if you are going to rely on dry stacking stone like that for a retaining wall you put a reasonable batter on it, i.e. make it slope back at an angle rather than building it close to vertical. Not sure what it looked like before but this would decrease the chances of it collapsing again.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by PDub View Post
    May I suggest if you are going to rely on dry stacking stone like that for a retaining wall you put a reasonable batter on it, i.e. make it slope back at an angle rather than building it close to vertical. Not sure what it looked like before but this would decrease the chances of it collapsing again.
    Was thinking about dong the first 1m as steel post and sleeper, this would lessen the height of the overall wal, and increase the usualble groundl. While the base of the exisiting 2m will would still begin at the ground level, the first 1m should provide additional support. Drywalling second step would be less of a challenge.

Building that close to the old storm water drain nad from what I can see the connection to sewer might not be permitted .... worst case I could dig out the 1m bottom if works where required by the council.

what do you mean by a storm water easement in your neck of the woods?
    natural run off over natural land or some sort of drain/pipe/gravel drain?

I rebuilt one a few years ago and I removed all the rock (sorted into piles as I went, you know size, shape etc) and then I dug out the footings and put in cracker dust; much easier to get the first row of rocks sitting firmly.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
    what do you mean by a storm water easement in your neck of the woods?
    natural run off over natural land or some sort of drain/pipe/gravel drain?

I rebuilt one a few years ago and I removed all the rock (sorted into piles as I went, you know size, shape etc) and then I dug out the footings and put in cracker dust; much easier to get the first row of rocks sitting firmly.

stormwater.jpg

Front view up the easement, looks like the collapsed wall partly runs along the side of the easement,

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathan2233 View Post

Front view up the easement, looks like the collapsed wall partly runs along the side of the easement,
    So, you are confident the pipe itself hasn't collapsed leading to the wall to collapse?
    Either way I would dig all the wall out and start again - footings being the most important part of any wall.
    Maybe the footings under the pipe have washed out?
    You could try a temporary patch but I suspect will wash out again.