Hire the best Landscaper

Retaining by an existing retaining wall???

Apprentice (new member)

Default Retaining by an existing retaining wall???

Hi everybody have been a long time lurker on here and finally need some help regarding my retaining wall I have to build. We are building a house and the lot is having a bit of cut and fill and now we have to retain to the side of our house approx 900mm high where they cut from. What I want to know is, is how close can I put my new retaining wall to the existing wall without to much drama. Have included a couple of drawings so you can see what I am up against. Have read all the guides but from what I can see nothing goes on about how close I can go to an existing wall. All help will be greatly appreciated. Regards Rick. PS..Not sure how to do thumbnails or upload from photobucket if any1 can tell me that would be great.

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Welcome to the forum,

This should help with the pics.

http://www.renovateforum.com/f36/add...ur-post-91653/
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Apprentice (new member)

Okay hope this works please let me know if it doesn't. Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails house-site.jpg   retaining2.jpg  

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

if the new one is only covering up the old one build it right in front allowing 200-300mm for agi-pipe and gravel drainage. Wrap the agi and drainage totally in filter (geotech)fabric and terminate about 200mm from the top of the wall. preferably fill the last 200mm with a clay soil with runoff for the surfacee water.

Apprentice (new member)

Default oops wall diagram was wrong...it's like this..

i just realised that I made a BIG mistake in my design so here is a new one, that I hope is correct...any suggestings as to the distance from the origional wall would be appreciated. I hope you can decifer my quick makeup sketch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails retaining2.jpg  

Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by 01rickster View Post
    Hi everybody have been a long time lurker on here and finally need some help regarding my retaining wall I have to build. We are building a house and the lot is having a bit of cut and fill and now we have to retain to the side of our house approx 900mm high where they cut from. What I want to know is, is how close can I put my new retaining wall to the existing wall without to much drama. Have included a couple of drawings so you can see what I am up against. Have read all the guides but from what I can see nothing goes on about how close I can go to an existing wall. All help will be greatly appreciated. Regards Rick. PS..Not sure how to do thumbnails or upload from photobucket if any1 can tell me that would be great.
    Hello Rickster,

If in Brisbane Council Area then they have specific rules about size (height and distance offsets from the boundary) and you will require approval all "change to ground levels" from Council and a structural RPEQ to certify the design and then construction. Also you will need a building certifier ultimately to comply with the Building Act.

Regards
    Dan