Air compressor with finish nailer, drop in regulated pressure

Apprentice (new member)

Default Air compressor with finish nailer, drop in regulated pressure

Bit of a noobie with air compressors, decided to bite the bullet and get together a setup to do some home stuff to run different guns.
    Once set up and I've set the regulated pressure at 90psi I would use the nail gun a bit but the regulated pressure would drop after a couple of shots and the performance lessens and have to reset the regulated pressure higher.
    Its a little Colt 200 which seems to be sufficient to run finish nailers, running it with a 40m 1/4" hose.
    Am i missing something?

40m is a long hose for a little compressor, what type of gun are you running on it, Finish gun or framing gun, these compressors are not suitable for framing guns, they can't handle the amount of air required.

I would be first checking for small leaks on all your joins, shorten the hose, cant see why you need 40m for home use, longest hose I have is 20m, never had a need for any longer 1/4 hose is also small, my ones are all 3/8., I have a small Maxus compressor for little things, it works perfectly well with my finish guns and staplers, but would not bother putting the framing gun on it, I have a bigger compressor for that.

You can also adjust at what pressure the compressor cuts in, you may need to adjust this to cut in quicker.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

10 mm hose (or 3/8 ), shorter and crank the reg up to 100. I know nearly all guns state a max of 90 but that's rubbish. I've run all my guns at 100 for over 15 years with no issues.

My Hitachi finish and coil nailers run from 70-120 (Manufacture Specs), I have them set around 100-110 without any problems.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    40m is a long hose for a little compressor, what type of gun are you running on it, Finish gun or framing gun, these compressors are not suitable for framing guns, they can't handle the amount of air required.
    Saw a bundle kit at Bunnings of a 1/4" 40m hose with a nice swivel reel so thought I'd save a bit and buy that really.
    Read that it's a good idea to get a filter so probably should of gone the Colt 282.

Quote Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
    10 mm hose (or 3/8 ), shorter and crank the reg up to 100. I know nearly all guns state a max of 90 but that's rubbish. I've run all my guns at 100 for over 15 years with no issues.
    I'll give that a go cheers.

Apprentice (new member)

Running a little senco 18ga forgot to add

Quote Originally Posted by s3rialthriller View Post
    Running a little senco 18ga forgot to add
    How many shots you doing before it drops ?

Also yes a water trap is a good idea, or that water will end up in the gun, they don;t tend to like that long term.

Don;t forget to feed the gun a few drops of oil before every use, and half daily if using all day.
    Last edited by phild01; 8th Feb 2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: word 'oil'

Apprentice (new member)

How many shots you doing before it drops ?

Also yes a water trap is a good idea, or that water will end up in the gun, they don;t tend to like that long term.

Don;t forget to feed the gun a few drops of oil before every use, and half daily if using all day.
    Maybe 3 or 4. Is it normal for regulated pressure to drop or should be constant? I've never thought you had to go and change it up every few shots.
    Senco say that they are oil free and have a no oil sign so what's your take on that?

Senco say that they are oil free and have a no oil sign so what's your take on that?
    That's the air compressor isn't it!

Normally an air gun takes a few drops of oil.

I have a little direct drive compressor I use for the nail guns if I am doing something away from the workshop.
    It's a cheap GMC with a 50l tank and 6 CFM pump bought many years ago for $99 and I can't kill it.

The only thing I had to do in order to use it with the framing gun was replace the regulator that only allows for maximum pressure to be changed for another regulator that cost me as much as the compressor, that allows to change the cut in pressure as well as the cut out pressure. With the old regulator, since the differential was 40 PSI, I had to crank the top cut out pressure past 120 PSI in order to get it to cut in at 85. Not good.
    So now I can lift the cut in pressure to 95 yet keep the cut out pressure at 110 and the framer pushes in 90 mm nails and even ring shank nails with no problem.
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance
    Confucius

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

The only thing I had to do in order to use it with the framing gun was replace the regulator that only allows for maximum pressure to be changed for another regulator that
    Sorry for the thread diversion, but… Marc, if you still have the details of the reg, would you mind posting them? Cheers.

Back to normal transmission….

Correct description is a pressure switch with adjustable differential.

Confucius

Maybe 3 or 4. Is it normal for regulated pressure to drop or should be constant? I've never thought you had to go and change it up every few shots.
    3-4 shots is not enough, I would get 15-20 shots with my finish gun using the small Maxus compressor before it cuts in, and the last nails would still be driven all the way.
    My mate has a small Project Air compressor, have used it to do a fence once with him, the coil gun uses more air per hit, and it would get at least 10-15 shots before cutting in, the last two nails needed to be hit in by hand.

Start by decreasing the hose length, I bet that's causing you some issues, NO you should not need to readjust the pressure once initially set.

If the Senco says oil free, then don't oil it.

Is it the FinishPro18BMg ?, if so the operating pressure is from 70-120, dial it up to 100-110 and try it out.

If you increase the cut in pressure from 70 to 100, you increase the cut out pressure to 150 and that may not be safe.
    Confucius

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Correct description is a pressure switch with adjustable differential.

Thanks Marc, much appreciated. Saves me trying to align product specs & requirement if you’ve already done it!

Yep ... fitted by a repairer not by me.
    Confucius

Apprentice (new member)

3-4 shots is not enough, I would get 15-20 shots with my finish gun using the small Maxus compressor before it cuts in, and the last nails would still be driven all the way.

Is it the FinishPro18BMg ?, if so the operating pressure is from 70-120, dial it up to 100-110 and try it out.
    Cheers for the help, dialed it up a bit and checked everything else and she's all sweet now.

Do you guys leave the valve at the bottom open when you're done? Or close it back up once the air and water is out

Close it once drained any water

Confucius